Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Using Old Linksys WRT54G router as a bridge

This is a discussion on Using Old Linksys WRT54G router as a bridge within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi , I have a bluray player that I want to get internet to that is downstairs. I would like

Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi , I have a bluray player that I want to get internet to that is downstairs. I would like to use my old Linksys WRT54g ver 2 router to do this. I just put DD-WRT firmware on it. I have a Linksys E1000 as my primary router. All I want to do is be able to to put the Secondary router (WRT54G) downstairs near the bluray player and run an ethernet cable from the lan port on the router to the ethernet port on the bluray player to get internet access. What is the best way to do this? Client bridge or Client mode? Step by step instructions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Have a look at this tutorial from DD-WRT should help.

Client Bridged - DD-WRT Wiki

Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well I followed those instructions and it has seemed to work the second time I did it. lol I placed the 2nd router downstairs and ran an ethernet cable from the Blueray to the back of the WRT54g and it has internet access. One question though. How do I access the DD-WRT control panel from the WRT54g without having to directly plug it into the computer? When I type 192.168.1.1 the setup page for my main Linksys E1000 comes up. I thought by typing the 192.168.1.1 in the IP address field on the DD-WRT setup page I would be able to gain access to that page. I typed 192.168.1.6 and nothing comes up. I guess I am a little confused on that part. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Hi JMT74 the bridge glad to hear it worked.

You have bridged the wireless connection of your WRT54G over to the main router so your wireless connection is controlled by your main router and all functions for it. That is why you can't access your WRT router ip address. Your ip addreses haven't changed because both routers are operating on the same subnet, and is working as one interface instead of two separate ones.

If you were on different subnets your computers ip address would have changed also.

So you will have to access your WRT using the ethernet. It is normal operation nothing wrong at all.

Hope that explains it for you.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

One other question. Does the WRT have the same speed as the main wired router or does it have the same speeds as wireless? I havent plugged a laptop or computer into the WRT to find this out yet. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Moderator - Networking

My System

A wired connection is generally faster than a wireless connection to the internet.

If you are going to use a wire for your laptop on your WRT it will still have to travel wirelessly to your E1000 as long as you have a strong signal you will get good speeds.

I noticed your E1000 is a N band router and the WRT is a G band router.

One thing i would do is change the band setting in your E1000 from mixed mode to B/G to match the band settings on the WRT. You should find the band settings in wireless settings or a sub catergory.

Hope this has helped.

Glad to have been a help to you if this solves your issue please mark it as solved in the thread tools.

Should you require further assistance please dont hesitate to start a new thread.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

I set the band setting to Mixed Mode in the WRT settings to match the E1000. You think it would work better if I change the E1000 band to b/g and the WRT to b/g band?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Moderator - Networking

My System

It will help to reduce the likelyhood of connection/disconnection issues because the routers are working at the same 54Mbps speed. Yes set both to b/g.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

There is only one problem with that. I have a couple Laptops that have Wireless-N. I would rather have the connection speeds of wireless N for those laptops than to have them run on b/g speeds.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

Now there is an even bigger problem. I just tried to use my laptop and i am having issues getting on the net. I unplugged the WRT and now I can get back on. It seems there is a conflict with the WRT and the E1000. What do I do now?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #11
Moderator - Networking

My System

You wont't get N speeds anyway because WRT54G doesn't operate at N speed it is a G band router so setting to b/g is the best option.

Wired or wirelessly?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Registered Member

I can't connect wirelessly when the WRT is on. Why do you suppose there is a conflict?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
Moderator - Networking

My System

Instead of conneccting to the WRT ssid connect to the E1000 ssid that is where the WRT is bridged over to.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

Well if you read the link you sent me it clearly states to name the ssid on the WRT the exact same name as the E1000. I thought that was kinda odd to begin with. Do you think I should just name it something else in the WRT?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
Moderator - Networking

My System

There is nothing wrong with naming it the same you can't access the wrt router wirelessly as it has changed to the ip address of your E1000 and wireless connection is thru that router and internet . You did change the router ip address of the WRT router to 192.168.1.6 as the article advised. To connect to WRT router ip you have to connect via ethernet.

You didn't use sp1 build the article said it would not work and to review the peacock thread for the build for your router.