Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USB Wireless disconnecting

3K views 34 replies 4 participants last post by  altnetid 
#1 ·
Sorry this is long but there is a lot of detail!

My USB Belkin Wireless G Network Adapter seems to disconnect whenever I remove another USB device (usually a memory stick) from the PC.

The problem started when I accidentally updated the driver via Windows. It didn't seem to work at all with this updated driver and I couldn't roll back or do a system restore to fix it. I'd done this before and ended up doing a complete re-install of Win 7. This time I did an upgrade install and the driver problem was cured.

I'm running a HP XW8400 with Win 7 64 Pro which has been faultless for the 5 years I've had it.

The only other change I've made recently is that I've stopped using a D-Link USB hub and started using the USB connectors on the HP LP2465 monitor.

This only affects the wireless and no other USB devices.

When it disconnects, Win troubleshooting goes through the motions and reverts to LAN and doesn't see the wireless USB at all. This also happens if I don't use the troubleshooter.

Device manager shows the driver to be working, but the wireless USB doesn't function even if I connect it directly to a USB port.

The router is still working as all other devices in the house are connected.

The only way around it seems to be a re-boot, but when this fault happens the PC gets stuck at "Shutting Down". Without the fault, re-boot or shut down works fine.

When it happens I have to power off and on. This usually works fine but every now and then I notice the device driver for the Belkin is disabled.

I've found a workaround in that I can take out the Belkin USB before removing another USB device. After the USB stick or whatever is removed if I then reconnect the wireless USB it reconnects fine.

I've posted this elsewhere but no answers yet!

Many thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
After doing the upgrade install did you install all the drivers for your hardware including the chipset drivers which should be installed first?

#7 ·
I think you should re-install all the hardware drivers for your machine if you have not starting with the chipset drivers as these contain the drivers needed to use your USB.

#9 · (Edited)
Your model of workstation the XW8400 only has vista drivers have you upgraded the operating system from vista to windows 7 as they do not support windows 7 drivers on that model.

There may be a workaround where you can run the drivers setup files under compatiblilty for Windows vista link below gives a guide of how to run a driver under compatibility.

Installing a Device Driver under Compatibility Mode in Windows 7 | Tech Support Forum

Edit: See link below think tht is your model just click to choose another product if not correct.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...peId=12454&prodSeriesId=1844968&lang=en&cc=uk

#11 ·
No nothing in the chipset all i find is it has intel5000X did the intel driver utility find any drivers when you launched it?

Install all the drivers in that link for your hardware start with the graphics drivers.

#12 ·
The Intel utility did its thing and said it was successful but didn't seem to update or install anything.

Found a log file and it at the end one says
"No INFs left. System is up to date."
And the other
"Didn't find any INF's that match active hardware
IIF will NOT initiate reboot
Exit code = 0xA005
ResultCode = 40965"

All drivers are up to date but still no change.

#13 ·
Do you have any exclamation marks or red x's in device manager at all or unknown devices listed as other devices.

Also download the latest drivers for the belkin wireless adapter from the belkin website if you have not already done so.

When you connect the belkin adapter when installing the drivers make sure it is connected direcly into the computers USB port not any hub you may have when the setup program prompts you to do so.

#14 ·
Hi again...

No exclamations, red x's or unknown devices.
Double checked the Belkin drivers and they are the latest.
I've tried the adapter connected directly to the PC rather than via a cable or hub and still the same problem.

Not sure if it's relevant but since the re-install I've noticed in network adapters "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter" - not sure if that was there before and haven't mentioned it before...

Thanks

#15 ·
You can seafely disable the microsoft virtual Wi-fi minport adapter soemtimes it has been known to interfere with wireless connections.

Go to start>control panel>network and sharing centre>change adapter settings right click the microsoft virtual Wi-fi minport adapter and choose disable.

Can you try installing your belkin usb wireless adapter on another computer and see if it is able to connect to the internet and have stable connectivity?

#17 ·
So the adapter works fine on another pc so the problem lies on the computer somewhere.

Please open a cmd prompt by right clicking and choosing run as administrator and type:

netsh int ip reset reset.log press enter
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log press enter
netsh winsock reset catalog press enter
nbtstat -R press enter
nbtstat -RR press enter
ipconfig /flushdns press enter and restart pc

Any change?

Again open a cmd prompt by using run as administrator and type:

sfc /scannow press enter

Let it scan and repair anything it finds and restart pc if prompted to do so.

From a cmd prompt type: chkdsk /r press enter answer y press enter and then restart pc to begin scan, it can take some time please be prepared.

I still think it has something to do with the chipset driver after yu have completed the above can you post the make and model of the motherboard please.

#20 ·
The sandra txt just lists it as a HP board but it will be manufactured by another company for HP and they have customised it.

Please download everest from the link below and see if it further identifies the Motherboard.
|MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 Download

#23 ·
#25 ·
Oh dear we are unsuccesful again i think there is only one thing we can do here to find the model and model no of the motherboard.

Are you confident on opening up the pc by sliding the cover off and take a physical look on the motherboard itself for make and model.

If you are confident we need to make sure that:

1. computer is switched off.
2 swirched off at mains.
3. disconnect the power cord from the back of the tower.
4. leave for 10 minutes to reduce static discharge.
5. Use an anti static wristband if you have one to connect to a metal part of the case once it has been opened or touch a metal part of the case with one hand to ground yourself.
6. do not touch any components.
7. Have a torch handy.

Once opened look just above the memory slots and you should see the make and model and model no. please make a note of this and post this in your next reply please.

No problem you are very welcome.

#27 · (Edited)
The sp no identified it as an HP motherboard one of their own and they have no drivers as you know listed.

Now i am going to link you to some Intel5000x chipset drivers from intel and there are some windows 7 drivers available these may work with your motherboard but are intel drivers but not from intel so cannot verify them. there are two links you can try.

Please before you install these drivers backup your system and data before proceeding.

Link below:

INTEL 5000X Chipset drivers

The first link i think will be the one to download.

Chipset Driver Intel Ver.8.3.0.1010.zip - CNET Download.com

The above is from Cnet and may be better but please backup your system before downloading i could not find one on intel site but either one may resolve your issue.

Please let us know how it goes.

#28 ·
Any update on your issue at all?

#30 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear you were caught in the floods.

Did you try both links?

Go into your bios under integrated peripherals and check all the usb controllers are enabled including legacy support.

Also please give exact make and model of the USB belkin adapter please.

Please let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.