Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

USB/IRQ Conflicts Problems with Wireless Network

This is a discussion on USB/IRQ Conflicts Problems with Wireless Network within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm not sure if this is the appropraite forum for this exact question, and if it isn't I apologize. However

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is the appropraite forum for this exact question, and if it isn't I apologize. However I'm really desperate for some help at this point and I figured someone here might know something. My problem is this: I am trying to configure a Linksys wireless USB adapter component to my computer in order to be able to connect to a home wireless network. I have installed all the software and appear to be ready to utilize my device. However when I am prompted to insert the adapter and do so (and after my computer recognizes the adapter and luanches the wirless connection utility) I suddenly loose all mouse control. The optical laser light on my mouse shuts off and I can not move the pointer arrow on the screen or input any mouse commands, its as if the mouse is not plugged in at all.

Upon contacting Linksys for assisatance they told me that it was most likely a resource conflict between my USB mouse and the USB adapter I am trying to plug in. Essentially that they are competing over the same USB/IRQ port and therefore cannot function at the same time. However I have also tried connecting my USB mouse to a PS/2 port adapter and running it through the green port. It still does not respond. As soon as I unplug the wireless USB adapter, I regain all mouse control as normal. My question is simply, how can I resolve this resource conflict within the computer? And if this is not the primary reason for the error then what is, and how can I address it. I would be extremely grateful for any assistance anyone could give in resolving this matter. Thank you.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I'm not a big fan of USB for networking, but this appears to be a driver issue. Also, the IRQ conflict idea doesn't hold water, ACPI machines freely share interrupt vectors. Here's an example from this perfectly working machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irq.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	19526  

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to Molle

Hi, I have also experienced some problem with usb networking, running a n1 belkin. What happens is the bluescreen pops up afterawhile, first i thought i was just when i ran serveral programs at once, but i left it over the night for download something, and when i got up the crap had crashed. This is not a problem if i use a tp cable instead of the usb wireless usbstick. Im running , Vista home premium sp1 had problems before sp1 aswell thou i never got the bluescreen, but the whole computer got slowed down each 40 second.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Tech Hardware Team

stoneprophet,

I agree with johnwill about the IRQ thing. I've seen USB hardware have conflicts with add-on PCI cards - but not USB-USB conflicts.

What make/model is your PC? Is it a laptop? Do you have any other USB devices (besides the mouse & WiFi adapter) connected? Are you using a USB hub or are the devices connected directly to your PC's USB ports?

Does that LinkSys USB WiFi adapter require an external power source (i.e. AC adapter)? If not, I'm wondering if this is a power issue with your USB hardware. USB devices can be powered by the USB hardware in your PC or by a powered external USB hub. It's posible to overload USB ports if too many devices are plugged in and drawing more power than your PC is designed to supply. I've gotten pop-up messages in XP about USB power problems. Your USB mouse probably doesn't draw much power - but the linksys WiFi adpter could be a different story.

This is just a thought. I might be completely off base here, but it's worth looking into.

- John
Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Microsoft MVP

My System

Actually, I've seen a number of USB/USB driver crashes, it's the primary reason that I recommend against USB for networking if any other option is available.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 09-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Registered Member

i have the exact problem with a netgear usb wireless adapter and a wireless mouse. I am giving in and returning it.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Hello...This is a 3 yr old Thread, if you need assistance pls. create your own and we'll be glad to assist you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noel fair View Post
i have the exact problem with a netgear usb wireless adapter and a wireless mouse. I am giving in and returning it.
Thread Closed.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
Closed Thread