Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Unable to print to Network printer after upgrading router to dual-band

This is a discussion on Unable to print to Network printer after upgrading router to dual-band within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I recently upgraded my d-link router DI-524 for Netgear N600 WNDR3700v3 and every component (wired or wireless) is working

Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I recently upgraded my d-link router DI-524 for Netgear N600 WNDR3700v3 and every component (wired or wireless) is working except network printer. I have it wired directly to the router and all pcs on the home network can see it, however when i select to do a test print, nothing prints to the printer and i get error. I had this setup using the d-link router with both the printer and the XP PC wired directly to the router and using the XP PC as a network pc sharing the printer to other pcs (Vista / Windows 7) on the home network.

The printer is a Toshiba e-studio 160 series.. I re-added the print drivers for XP and still not able to print. Is there anything else I can try?

Any assistance here would be most appreciated..

Old 03-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

Is the printer setup for dhcp? Have you power cycled the printer?

The old dlink router used a address of 192.168.0.x (by default anyway), and the netgear uses a 192.168.1.x range.

If the printer had a static address then it will need to be changed to be able to grab the new address range, both in the printer itself, as well as in the properties for the printer on each computer in the port settings.

Computers help us fix problems that we would not have without them...

Shekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Shekka,

I do not currently have the printer setup for dhcp as i have it setup as static with the new network ip - 192.168.1.x replacing the 192.168.0.x from the d-link. I have power cycled the printer, left it off for 20 sec, power cycled router with printer off, then turned printer back on and still nothing. The XP PC tpc port was also changed to same IP 192.168.1.x. I can ping the printer from the XP PC but cannot send prints to the printer.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello techwiz49,

I'd try resseting the printer to the factory setting and start fresh.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Moderator - Networking

I would try what 2xg suggested next, or go through all the network settings and verify. Did you change the gateway in the printer as well to reflect the ip change?

Qucik question: did you just change the port properties or create a new tcp port? Creating a new tcp port in the printer properties is best then applying and clicking ok.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

I deleted the old tcp port from the dlink and created a whole new port.

i will reset printer to default values and start fresh..

Thanks again !!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
2xg

Please keep us posted.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Ok I was able to start from scratch and get the XP PC to send prints to the printer.. Also my Vista laptop can see XP PC and send test print to printer using the XP PC Shared Printer setup. How can I get the windows 7 desktop to see it on the same network.. Do you know if this printer is compatible with windows 7?

Regards,
Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
2xg

You should be able to download the Win7 printer driver from the Toshiba site.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Moderator - Networking

If there is no driver for win7 see if windows can auto detect the printer in the add printer window (don't pick the shared printer, you will want to use the printer ip) and auto search for a driver.

Gear in this thread