Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trying to set up a Bridge network but only getting limited success.

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Wand3r3r 
#1 ·
Hello,

With my provider (Sky Broadband) I got a Sagem 2504 router as standard. The wireless range on it however is not that great for online gaming though.

I have an Ethernet connection directly to my PS3 using a powerline adapter. This one to be precise, the
'TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter'.

This works fine for my PS3 providing a stable connection. But I'd also like to use Skype on my PSVita to talk to my friends while we play. But the Vita only has a wireless connection, and connecting straight to the Sagem proves unreliable.

So I now, instead of having an Ethernet cable go straight from the TP Link plug to the PS3. I have it go into a Netgear 'N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router', with a cable then going to the PS3, while the Netgear provides a new wireless connection point for my Vita.

But with this setup, I often find myself lagging out of online games, I assume due to a slow connection.

I'm not 100% sure that I have set the Netgear up correctly. A friend borrowed it for sometime, and I don't know if they altered it's settings to be used in bridge mode or not.

All I did was connect the 'In' Ethernet and the 'Out' Ethernet both into the LAN ports on the back of the router and it seemed to work.

I'm not tech savvy enough to understand all the lingo so, finding posts on other forums mentioning acronyms I have no understanding of sort of throws me off.

So can anyone help.

Thank you in advance if anyone can. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to TSF!

Since you have a connection through the netgear it must be configured correctly.

Concerning the speed go to speedtest.net and run a test connected to the first router and then another test to the 2nd router to the same test server as done with the first test and post both results for review.

#3 ·
Thank you :)

My speed test are by no means impressive (I live out in the country...) bt they worked until now.

Connected through the Netgear I get;
On the PS3 Download: 5.2Mbps
Upload: 806.2kbps

On the Vita Download: 4.6Mbps
Upload: 755.8kbps

Connected straight to the Sagem I get;
On the PS3 Download: 5.3Mbps
Upload: 815.kbps

On the Vita Download: 3.9Mbps
Upload: 763.5kbps

#5 · (Edited)
I'll do that first thing tomorrow. I can't get on my laptop at the moment. The probelm with the Vita was the connection dropping out, I assumed due to the Sagem's poor wireless signal. I was only getting between 1-2 bars of signal out of a possible 4 80% of the time. The other 20% time the Vita was at 3 bars. On a side note, i just tried connecting the Netgear directly to the Sagem, with the PS3 through the Powerline Adaptor. It might just be a coincidence, but as soon as the Netgear was connected to the Sagem my PS3 lost connection to the game lobby it was in. Could the Netgear be affecting the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.