Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trying to connect a CPE to Shaw Go wi-fi.

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Deleted 03/18/17 
#1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering if there's any way to connect a CPE as a client to Shaw Go wifi. I've been able to get it working on a different wi-fi network, but I need to get it working on the Shaw public wi-fi. I've got the MAC of the CPE registered on the Shaw Go account page, would I need my computer's MAC in there as well? Or will it just piggyback on the MAC of the CPE?

If it's not something I'm able to do, please let me know. If it should be possible, I can provide any other details you might need.

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
"Or will it just piggyback on the MAC of the CPE?"

Yes. You want to register the MAC address of the wireless interface, and NOT the WAN MAC. As long as the router can get a public IP, you should be good. Just make sure it isn't against Shaw's ToS. The only mention I can find is:

"You may not in any way distribute, resell or otherwise provide third parties with access to or use of Shaw Go WiFi."

I wonder if they consider using a router/AP as "distributing" the service. Ethically, IMO, as long as you and yours are the only one using it, your in the clear. As for how to do it, what model router/CPE do you have?

#3 ·
PS. I read your previous posts for context, and notice you were trying to connect a Xbox. I would NOT suggest using public wifi for gaming. Not only is latency (from wifi) and congestion (others using the wifi) an issue, but I would imagine you would also have NAT issues since the AP probably have a strict firewall before hitting the public internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.