Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Time Sync with DC

This is a discussion on Time Sync with DC within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. We have a small network of about 12 computers with the clients running XP and the server running Windows Server

Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

We have a small network of about 12 computers with the clients running XP and the server running Windows Server 2003 R2. Lately I've noticed that the clients aren't syncing time with the DC, every client is off by a couple of minutes. In fact, when I type in "net time" from the command prompt, it gives the current time of one of the clients instead of the server.

How can I get the clients to stay in sync with the DC.

Thanks,
Gemnix79

Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus, Networking Team

OS: Windows Vista Business SP1, Windows XP Professional SP3

My System

What is the Network Time Service set up on the workstations? NTP should be syncing either to the DC or to another time service over the Internet.

The proper command to sync the time with the DC is net time /domain:[domainname] . Try this command instead.

By the way it is very important that the workstations do not deviate from the DC time by more than 5 minutes due to the time restrictions in-place by the Kerberos authentication system, or else you will have problems with workstations trying to gain access to shares and resources.

Virus/Trojan/Spyware Removal Help
Donate!
Cellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

The Network Time Service for the client workstations are all set to sync with the DC and I did use the net time /domain:[domainname] command. However, it still gives me the current time for the same client station when I type net time, even on the DC. The only client that doesn't do this, is the one that the others are pointing to and it actually says that it's pointing to the DC. Also, whenever I do a w32tm /resync from this client, I get the following response: "The computer did not resync because no time data was available."

Thanks for your help...
Old 09-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I use GPOs, under the "computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Windows Time Service", to ensure that the time on the local computers sync with the DC. I direct all time to the server, then direct the server to an outside NTP server. Works extremely well with 400 computers over a WAN. I'm sure it'll work as well with a small network.
Technet procedure can be found here

If you are not familiar with using GPO's, Download the Group Policy Management Console.
"Four freedoms: The first is freedom of speech and expression - everywhere in the world. The second is freedom of everyone to worship God in his own way, everywhere in the world. The third is freedom from want . . . everywhere in the world. The fourth is freedom from fear . . . anywhere in the world."
--Franklin D. Roosevelt U.S. President
NoReason is offline   Reply With Quote