Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Stray data in wireless network.

This is a discussion on Stray data in wireless network. within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, everyone. I have recently noticed an odd behavior in my wireless network. I have the following network setup: ADSL

Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, everyone.
I have recently noticed an odd behavior in my wireless network. I have the following network setup: ADSL WiFi router in router mode, a desktop PC with wireless USB adapter, and two laptops. All of the computers are connected to the router via WiFi connection and thus make a small home network. The odd thing is: whenever one of laptops downloads large amounts of data from the Web (for example watching Youtube in 720p) all the data seems to be traveling through the desktop PC (that doesn't even have the highest signal strength thanks to weak adapter), instead of going straight to laptop, which results in severe performance hit on desktop PC.

All of computers in network are running Windows 7, have static IPs, default gateways set to router's IP, have no IPv6 enabled, and have no "homegroup" features enabled.
I can only tell about the desktop PC, because I can see the adapter light go berserk, but laptops can do the same to each other for all I know.

Running route print all and ping -r commands did not reveal any odd route settings, that would force such behavior, and each computer functions correctly when the others are removed from the network.

So my question is: what's the cause? And how do I get rid of it? And if it's perfectly normal, then: is there any way to make some sort of star topology in wireless network?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

not normal. if you take the pc down during the streaming does the steaming become interrupted?

look for a program called nocut or other proxy installed on this pc.

Wand3r3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Any computer can work with web on it's own (when all others are shut down). There's no proxy server software installed on any of them and all the "proxy settings" are set to "do not use proxy server" in all network-related programs. If I unplug pc's adapter right in the middle, it has no effect on laptop's downloading process, but when I plug it back in and reconnect, it starts blinking very fast immediately.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

Then it would appear the video streaming is completely unrelated to the blinking on the wireless adapter. It would appear its local to that pc only.

take out the adapter
bring up task manager and processes
plug the adapter back in
what processes go up?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

I only mentioned HD video streaming as an example of heavy transferring. It can be any kind of download. And I think it's related, because blinking slows down to normal the very same instant I close the containing page or the download completes, and starts again whenever another traffic-heavy task starts. Speed limit is 8 Mb/s, so the change is obvious.

I can not do the process monitoring right now, but I will post results in about 12 hours.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #6

"Speed limit is 8 Mb/s"
could you clarify this?

If your lan is staturated this can cause resends of dropped data which can explain the extra blinks on the wireless adapter.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

I meant that ISP provides down speed of about 1 Megabyte per second, so the blinking goes from normal of 1 time per second to something like 20 times (and I really feel bad about discussing the "blinking". Is there any software you could recommend to monitor PC's traffic?).

But when I woke up just now, I thought about this: could this be the nature of wireless connection itself? Like this: router accepts packets of data from external network and transmits them across the space; every computer receives all of them (which results in blinking) and then, judging by the address portion of packet, decides whether to use them or not. Could this be the case?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
Registered Member

When I plug the adapter back in, the only new process appearing is mobsync.exe (Microsoft sync center), but it disappears ten seconds after. Downloads on other computers do not cause any new processes to start.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #9

Hey that's a good sign. Doesn't appear you are malware infected. My guess is resends due to network congestion at the time of the downloads.

It might be intesting to do a ping yourgatewayip -t
Start it before a download and then do a download.
Ping stats go up?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

Yes, ping grows noticeably: from usual solid 2ms to average of 15 at the time of download with peaks at 70.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #11

Those aren't that bad of ping stats. If this was a nic I would think you have a jabber [talks and doesn't shut up] but this usually results in slow networking which doesn't seem to be your issue. Quite frankly I have yet to read a report of a wireless card being a jabber.

I am out of ideas as to why this one wifi would blink so much. Everything looks good from what you have posted.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
Registered Member

Another weird thing: to sidestep the problem I connected the PC to the router with an Ethernet cable, which resulted in a huge signal improvement on my neighbor's laptop. He doesn't usually use my wifi, but told me that signal strength has increased, so I let him join my network, tested the stuff and am confused once again: the download speed from web to his laptop (placed two walls away from my room) quadruples when my PC (which is not supposed to be involved in the process at all) is connected to the router with cable, compared to when it's WiFi for all. Weird.

With wired connection between the PC and router, there no more seem to be any problems, so the question is more of a "wonder why" category now.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #13

The more connections on the wifi the less each pc gets.
Appears from your test your wifi is saturated
This again points to network congestion but in this case just the wifi segment.