Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Splitter or Router

This is a discussion on Splitter or Router within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My son and his wife have just moved into an Appartment with Internet access supplied via one single ethernet socket.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

My son and his wife have just moved into an Appartment with Internet access supplied via one single ethernet socket. They both need Internet access and would like to do so wirelessly - or at least access the internet from another room.

Appartment Agent suggest getting any old cheap router from PC World and have ethernet as input.

Routers all seem to have a telephone cable as their input or is there a type that can have an ethernet cable as input ?

Any advice welcome.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

and welcome to the Forum

Few ( if any ) routers have telephone connections . . Ethernet connection looks like a phone connection but is wider.

See this for more on networking: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

There are of course ADSL routers which have telephone connections.

These routers are designed to connect between a 24/7 connection to an ISP and give both PSTN (old style analogue) phone services on dial up whilst giving also high speed Internet

Quite frequently they are also referred to as Broadband

you'd have to talk with a local Phone Service Provider to see if they have any packages for your area.
Where I am living in greece , we have several companies all offering different styles of service, with speeds up to 24MBPS depending upon distance from DSLAM and line quality, free phone calls all over Greece and Internationally (within Band I or II) and at a cheap price.

Shop around

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

How to mark your thread as solved

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

Submit New Articles Here

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Done_Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

In your case, a standard broadband router will do the trick.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Daft Taff, what you need is a "cable" type router. Plugs and sockets of various services in the Uk are different from those in the US. So a cable router will take your ethernet in, and give you maybe 4 ethernet out, plus wireless if you buy that version.
Do not buy the ADSL type router which has a modem built in. That will take an RJ11 connection in (sort of looks like a BT phone plug but less wide). If you already have internet on an ethernet connection you cannot use an ADSL version.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Taff View Post
My son and his wife have just moved into an Appartment with Internet access supplied via one single ethernet socket. They both need Internet access and would like to do so wirelessly - or at least access the internet from another room.

Appartment Agent suggest getting any old cheap router from PC World and have ethernet as input.

Routers all seem to have a telephone cable as their input or is there a type that can have an ethernet cable as input ?

Any advice welcome.

Right now I am also playing with a Linksys WAP54g wireless router .. there may be something newer that you can get hold of .

it's a wireless router that will will easily cater for two PC's, it has an Ethernet connect that will allow you to connect straight to the wall jack

It will only be a question then of making the installation so that it sees the existing network that will bring the internet to the apartment and then give access to the wireless PC's in the apartment.
Make sure that you use a firewall and security measures to stop others from "stealing" bandwidth and using the wireless connection for free.

one question that comes to mind is where the existing jack connects to ? Does it have internet access or is it just a wall fitting ?

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

How to mark your thread as solved

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

Submit New Articles Here

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Done_Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote