Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Someone trying to access my hotmail account

This is a discussion on Someone trying to access my hotmail account within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have had the same hotmail account for a lot of years, and have to admit I kept the same

Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have had the same hotmail account for a lot of years, and have to admit I kept the same password for a long time. About a month ago (after a split from my boyfriend), I changed my password. Straight away, every time I tried to log on after this I would get error messages saying 'You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect email address or password' and would ask me to either create a new password or enter memorable information. After about a week this settled down. But because I had changed to a new password I kept, on occasion entering the wrong one. Instead of giving me numerous attempts to enter the correct one, it would immediately come up with 'You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect email address or password.' and ask me to 'Enter the characters below' and then let me in. Its as if someone has figured out how many attempts you get to enter the incorrect password and is just stopping before it blocks.
This has been going on for over a month now, random times, some days not at all, some days 4 and 5 times.
Is there anyway I can find out who is trying to access my account? Do you think this sounds like a random hacker or more likely to be someone i know (ie the ex?).
It is just concerning me that someone is so persistent they have kept trying for over a month to guess my password.
Any help greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to CEM Send a message via Skype™ to CEM

Welcome to TSF ;

You have to use password least 10 digit number and letter upper or lower case.I
recommend don't use any info like country phone number even your name.
Other option is if you have xxxx@hotmail.com account you can change with same e-mail address xxxx@live.com or you can add number on your existing hotmail account. Than you can transfer your contact list's. Before change e-mail name send your friends new e-mail account address.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the info.
when I changed my password I made it very strong and virtually impossible to guess....which is why whoever it is, is still trying to guess it after a month.
Just wondered if there is anyway of finding out who it might be who is trying to gain access?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Its not certain that someone is trying the break into the account it might just be some kind of error with your account, you can try to get in contact with someone with Hotmail and describe you're issue to them and see what they can do.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If you create yourself a second hotmail account, you can always just link them both together. That way when you log into your second account, you can just click the dropdown at the top right of the page and select your other account. I do this myself, and just switch between them to check my emails. It is fairly instant.