Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some pages won't load on first try, then load fine after a refresh

7K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  haslow 
#1 ·
Just got a new laptop, and some webpages don't load on their first attempt, but as soon as the "Could not load page" banner appears it auto-refreshes and loads at normal speed. This happens with Chrome, Firefox, and IE so it doesn't seem to be a browser isolated problem. Nothing changes when I use a wired connection (except for slightly higher speed)

I've tried deleting cookies/cache, re installing browsers, turning modem/router on and off (including unplugging), checked firewall settings, but nothing seems to fix the problem. My internet speed's fine, 25mb/s down, 9mb/s up, and 6 ping. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

#5 ·
Hi there,

Try flushing the DNS and see if that helps. Open up the command prompt and type in the following command without quotes: "ipconfig /flushdns"

See if this command does the trick. Hope everything works out well for you and feel free to ask more questions, thank you.

#7 ·
Hi and welcome to TSF,
check you have the latest internet browser and Java see if that makes difference.

#9 · (Edited)
When downloading does it not finish or or you get http 404 errors?

Open a cmd prompt and type: ping google.com <press enter> take screenshot and post it please.

#11 ·
The ping looks fine no isssues there.

When downloading does it not finish or or you get http 404 errors?
Can you answer the above.

At startup can you press F8 and choose safe mode with networking and try and connect again.

#13 ·
Does it happen just on one machine?

#15 ·
Does it affect downloads when you initially go on if they do no t finish could be an mtu issue.

#16 ·
Yeah it does. I use Mega.co.nz a lot, and 80% of the time, the download wont initially start, and i have to refresh teh page once or twice to get the download going. Also, when I tried to download Firefox, that wouldnt start either. I can't remember specifically what the problem with that was, but I remember that it wouldnt start.

I have changed the MTU to 1480, but i wont get in the way of your judgment

#17 ·
#19 ·
It does not sound as if you have an mtu issue the Java download wouldn't have finished and you could install it.

Open a cmd prompt by right clicking and choose Run as Administrator and type:
sfc /scannow<press enter> and let it repair anything it finds and restart if prompted to do so.

#21 · (Edited)
Looks like a Different issue I will PM someone who may be able to help with the issue you face with sfc /scannow.

Can open a cmd prompt and type: ipconfig /all post a screenshot please.

#22 ·
I have had the exact same problem but it was on more than one computer. Best way to check if it is a computer issue or a problem with your internet system is to take the computer that has the issue to a place that offers wifi like a Starbucks. See if you still have the issue. If you do then it is something to do with your computer. If no problem then it has something to do with your intenet setup.
My problem was due to poorly trained internet installers had a mismatch of multiple components on the internet system causing the problem even though the speed was at 45Mbs. That is all they looked at and that does not always mean fast reliable internet when there are conflicts with hardware and settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.