Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] XP, using external w/less connection problem 'acquiring network address'

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] XP, using external w/less connection problem 'acquiring network address' within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I've got an old XP laptop which I have just reformatted and reinstalled from scratch (which went well). I

Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I've got an old XP laptop which I have just reformatted and reinstalled from scratch (which went well). I connected it to my ADSL router using a TP-LINK TL-WN422G Wireless USB Adapter as it did not have a built in w/less adapter. It connected first time and worked well.

The problem is when I took it to a friends house where they have a Huawei router. The TP LINK adapter spotted the w/less signal immediately and accepted the WAP-PSK key but stuck on 'acquiring network address'.

If I connect using an ethernet cable the laptop can get on the web but not using the w/less adapter. I even tried using a different w/less adapter (a NETGEAR WPN511 Wireless PC Network PCMCIA Card Adapter) but this also stuck on 'acquiring network address'.

Neither w/less connector had any success when I sat the laptop right next to the router, and in fact both indicated a strong signal, they just couldn't resolve an ip address.

Any suggestions what might be the problem, or what I can try? In both cases I checked for the latest drivers, and uninstalled/reinstalled the w/less adapter.

Thanks

Gavin

Old 03-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello Tiridhe,

Do you have the latest Service Pack for your XP which SP3?

Please try these recommendations for now:
Please remove all wireless profiles stored from your computer and re-connect to her wireless network, make sure that you have the correct encryption needed if your wireless is secured. Here's a complete guide.

Verify that all your Network Services are Started from Control Panel=> Performance and Maintenance=> Admin Tools=> Services:
• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
• Computer Browser
• DHCP Client
• DNS Client
• Network Connections
• Network Location Awareness
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Server
• TCP/IP Netbios helper
• Wireless Zero Configuration ( XP wireless configurations only)
• WLAN AutoConfig ( Vista wireless configurations only)
• Workstation

If the above didn't work pls. provide an ipconfig /all:
Click on Start => in run or search box type cmd , and press enter. From the black screen, type the word ipconfig /all and press enter. Right click on the black screen or Command prompt then choose Select All and Paste the results here.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

problem now fixed

thanks for your help
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

That's really great to hear!

May we ask what was the resolution so that it will benefit others?

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread