Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Wireless Network Connection, Media State: Disconnected.

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Wireless Network Connection, Media State: Disconnected. within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Please help! Cant connect with a linksis router. Able to connect with a dongle modem. Os: vista sp1 Adapter: broadcom

Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Please help!

Cant connect with a linksis router. Able to connect with a dongle modem.

Adapter: broadcom 802.11g
Signal strength: EXCELLENT
Error: "windows cannot connect to..." This network is marked as "hidden" network and is either not in range of this computer or the wireless settings saved on this computer do not match the settings of the networK.
Steps done:
Router is broadcasted. Changed router security type from tkip (wpa) to aes(wpa2). Restarted. Weird thng is (which im not sure) if i type ipconfig /all at cmd, id doesnt show its mac and ip addresses and almost all media are disconnected. Tried other possible ts on the web but still no good. :(

Hope someone could give me a fix.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Alternative Computing

OS: Linux Mint 16 Petra (KDE), Arch Linux, Ubuntu 13.10 Raspberry Pi Model B (running Raspmc)

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Exo View Post
Please help!

Weird thng is (which im not sure) if i type ipconfig /all at cmd, id doesnt show its mac and ip addresses and almost all media are disconnected. Tried other possible ts on the web but still no good. :(

Hope someone could give me a fix.

Thanks!
If you see "Media Disconnected" it means that your adapater has not been recognised.
What adapter is it? You said Broadcom 802.11G. If this is a USB dongle then try it in a different USB socket.

Also if you have many USB devices connected there may not be enough current to initialise your device. Try unplugging other USB devices and then insert your USB dongle.

If its recognised there is normally a beep from PC speaker and typing ipconfig at a prompt should tell you thr adpaters name. If you can see this then you can configure your network.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

when you try to connect to your network does it ask for the password?
if it doesn't try clearing the network profile from "manage wireless networks" window and than reconnect
Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal8000 View Post
If you see "Media Disconnected" it means that your adapater has not been recognised.
What adapter is it? You said Broadcom 802.11G. If this is a USB dongle then try it in a different USB socket.

Also if you have many USB devices connected there may not be enough current to initialise your device. Try unplugging other USB devices and then insert your USB dongle.

If its recognised there is normally a beep from PC speaker and typing ipconfig at a prompt should tell you thr adpaters name. If you can see this then you can configure your network.
No, its not a dongle. Its installed already and listed on wlan adapter as shown on the dm.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezumnik View Post
when you try to connect to your network does it ask for the password?
if it doesn't try clearing the network profile from "manage wireless networks" window and than reconnect
No, it doesn't ask for password either. For a period of second it will try to connect then there's the error prompt.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Grin

Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezumnik View Post
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! It WORKED PERFECTLY! You might do not know how much important for me is my connection! Thank you and God bless you and your family!