Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Wireless Connections

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Wireless Connections within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I haven't really allowed this to bug me too much, but I went over by a friend's house, used his

Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

I haven't really allowed this to bug me too much, but I went over by a friend's house, used his WiFi, closed my Laptop, it disconnected, I reconnected to his network, came back home, now every time I restart or Shutdown my computer I have to reconnect, not that big of a deal, but I already memorized the WEP by heart and I was wondering if anyone knew one of those settings to change, thanks if anyone knows or has this same issue.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

I am also having a similar issue as yours as soon as I replace my router from a Linksys G to Netgear Dual Band. My issue is...if I close the lid of my Netbook I have to run the network troubleshooter icon, it says disconnected and identifying. It doesn't bother me much. This has become a very common issue to everyone, incompatibility issue with the router.

I have updated my Wi-Fi adapter and tweaked some setting from the router, like changing the Mixed Mode to G/N and it didn't work. You may try these stuff that I have done, it might work in yours.

Oh, also I did a test, I put the old Linksys router back with the same encryption level - WPA2 and my disconnection issue disappeared.

You might have to get a new Wi-Fi adapter.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, Its probably because I set the system shutdown to clear Pagefile.sys at shutdown, or a variate of other things I've done to the OS in the time I had it, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Moderator - Networking

What is controlling your wireless profile connections? Is it windows or the wireless card software? Try switching to the opposite one and see if that helps. I have seen this issue before with customers systems, and the fix (usually), was to change from letting windows control it to letting the wifi card software control it. Another option would be to try changing the encryption type. Sometimes also changing the channel can help as well...

Maybe that will help?!? ....

Computers help us fix problems that we would not have without them...

Shekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

I found the problem, I checked MSCONFIG and found that my Wi-FI client was disabled, re-enabled it and restarted, problem fixed, thanks so much guys!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Moderator - Networking

Glad you got it! Thanks for posting the solution as well.

Please mark the thread as solved by using the thread tolls at the top of the page.

Computers help us fix problems that we would not have without them...

Shekka is offline   Reply With Quote