Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Wireless Connection Stuck on "Aquiring network address" - even after reinsta

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Wireless Connection Stuck on "Aquiring network address" - even after reinsta within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The problem is with an Acer Aspire One Netbook with Windows XP SP3. I have a modem/wireless router/gateway which connects

Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

The problem is with an Acer Aspire One Netbook with Windows XP SP3.

I have a modem/wireless router/gateway which connects fine to every other device in my house, including my desktop and 2 laptops.

I just reinstalled Windows XP on the netbook and copied over all the drivers from this computer and updated everything, but I am still getting the same problem: The netbook's wireless connection gets hung up after me typing in my security key, once it starts to connect, at "Aquiring network address," it goes nowhere. I have tried several solutions in other forums, with no luck...

However, one possible solution lead me to the command prompt, where I was able to get the following message: "An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out." (I ran ipconfig /renew)

I have tried Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, but that was of no use I found.

Can it be hardware problem on my netbook? Maybe my network adapter is malfunctioning? I bought this over three years ago now...

So like I said, I've tried all solutions on the internet so far, but they didn't help. Now I am back here and posted this myself to see if I can get some help... So if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE...

Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
Acer Aspire One Netbook
What is the model # of your Aspire Netbook? Have you updated your WiFi adapter driver from the Aspire site? Download

spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csecl View Post
I just reinstalled Windows XP on the netbook and copied over all the drivers from this computer and updated everything, but I am still getting the same problem
I downloaded the drivers to this computer from the site, and moved them over to the netbook. The netbook's drivers are up to date. This netbook did connect to this very same network at one time. This problem started prior to me reinstalling Windows, and is the reason why I reinstalled Windows XP. I don't know what happened that caused it to do this, but it was not due to a lack of updates. I am on top of updates on all my devices.

Anyways, the model number for this Aspire One Netbook is ZG5.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

What security software have you installed on the machine?

Having you tried disabling both AV and firewall temporarily while attempting to connect?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

I haven't connected it to the internet, so I have not downloaded what will be Microsoft Security Essentials. So no, there is no AV at this time. I can try the firewall, but I have my doubts...
Old 10-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

OK... so it has not been able to connect to the internet since XP was loaded 8 hours ago. There is no Anti-Virus yet, not until I connect will I worry about that. Disabling the firewall did not help. I am still waiting... "Acquiring network address"
Old 10-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Try this.

Quote:
1) Open 'Network Connections' (accessible from the Control Panel).
2) Right click on the Wireless Connection, and select 'Properties'.
3) Select the 'Wireless Networks' tab.
4) Under the 'Preferred networks' section, click on your network and click 'Properties'.
5) Under the 'Association' tab, there is a drop down menu specifying 'Network Authentication'. This should be set to WPA. Set Data Encryption to TKIP.

Having done this and re-entered my WEP key the PC may be able to connect to the router and internet.

It would appear that this Acquiring Network Address error can be caused by the Windows Update from XP SP2 to Service Pack 3 and that some wireless setting is reset as part of the Windows update in SP3. So if your PC is unable to connect to wireless network after installing Windows XP SP Service Pack 3 then the above information may be a solution to resolve the problem.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

Network Authentication was set to WPA2-PSK, and Data encryption was set to AES. So I did as you mentioned, and every time I re-enter the key, it rolls back to those settings.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Check that all your Network Services are Started:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues) - Default is Off for Vista and Win 7.
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista & Windows 7 wireless configurations only)
Workstation

You can check the services in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Administrative Tools > Services.

All of these services should be started and their startup type should be automatic or perhaps manual.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies.

Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running.

You could also check the Event Viewer to see if anything is showing up in there.

If they check out then log into the router and disable the WPA security to see if you get a connection then - re-enable afterwards.

If no go, then as an Administrator from the cmd prompt type and Enter

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Then run this MS Fixit to reset the TCP/IP stack (saves me typing the cmds) How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) but read down through the rest of the article.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
Check that all your Network Services are Started:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues) - Default is Off for Vista and Win 7.
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista & Windows 7 wireless configurations only)
Workstation
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista & Windows 7 wireless configurations only) is not running on here, but I am assuming that is because it is XP, not Vista or 7. As for the rest, they are all Started. I am going to disable the security to the network shortly, and try connecting then, I will let you all know how I make out. Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Registered Member

I tried the ipconfig/registerdns prompt (after /flushdns), but in return, I received the following message:
"Registration of DNS records failed: Access is denied."

What would cause this?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Registered Member

Still No Luck...

I turned off the gateway, after turning the wireless security off. Then I turned it back on, and tried to connect the netbook through the wireless, but same problem, only this time it said "limited connectivity," but regardless, I could not access the internet or network until I plug in the CAT 5 cable to the router to reset the settings back to a secured network. So again, the LAN works, the WAN does not. This is with and without security. And if you read my other posts, you will see the error messages I have received previously... I am currently running Tweaking.com's Windows Repair v1.9.0
Old 10-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Can you please post an ipconfig /all for us to reiview.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Registered Member

I have attached the image of my screen after using "ipconfig /all"

I hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipconfig.all.2012.10.20.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	117626  
Old 10-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Can you please post a screenshot of device manager with network adapters expanded and your wireless adapter expanded.

Your ipconfig /all may suggest that the wireless adapter may need replacing.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

There have been reported problems with that Atheros AR5007EG driver and downloading from this WHQL site has resolved in most cases ATHEROS Wireless drivers for Windows

Click on the corresponding blue tick for your driver and OS then click on the green download button at the bottom of the first section on the next page.

EDIT....Did you run the ipconfig /registerdns as an Adminstrator by right clicking on the cmd prompt icon and selecting that option ?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
Registered Member

This is the best I could do as far as the device manager goes, the pop-up is the General Tab for the Atheros Properties. However right now I am trying out what was just mentioned by Tomken15, and I just downloaded the other drivers from that Czech site, and I will be installing those.

Yes Tomken15, I did run CMD as Admin... I have been running all the command prompts that way...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	device manager.wireless.2012.10.20.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	117627  
Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
Moderator - Networking

My System

After updating the drivers please post another ipconfig/alll again please.

0.0.0.0 again please open a cmd prompt by right clicking and choose run as administrator and type:

netsh int ip reset reset.log press enter
netsh int ipv6 reset resetlog press enter
netsh winsock reset catalog press enter
ipconfig /flushdns press enter and restart pc

Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
Registered Member

Tomken15, I downloaded the drivers per your instructions, and copied over the files on my C: drive. That did not work however, I am still where I was a few minutes ago, even after rebooting. My system looks like the screenshot above. Ugh...
Old 10-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Registered Member

Here are screenshots after running those commands... I have just restarted after using those commands. And... I am still stuck in the same spot. Ugh...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ipconfig.all.2.2012.10.20.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	117628   Click image for larger version

Name:	netsh.2012.10.20.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	117629