Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Laptop Windows XP The Local connection works fine but my wireless connection doesn't get through my

Old 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

I have a Dell Laptop Windows XP

The Local connection works fine but my wireless connection doesn't get through my laptop. The wireless works since it goes through my PS3 and my sister's laptop perfectly.

When I repair it'll say:
Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address

I have used in cmd command:
ipconfig/renew
It'll say a message:
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Please help

Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

start here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ts-573730.html

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Dell Laptop Windows XP SP3 - Intel Celeron M processor 1.40GHz, 512MB Ram, ATI MOBILIT RADEON 9000

Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
Optimum Online

What type of broadband are you using?
Cable

What is the exact Make and Model of your Modem, Router or Modem/Router
Linksys E1000 Router (works perfectly with my sis laptop and the PS3. But not on my laptop)

What is the Name of the Anti-Virus, Security or Firewall Software installed from the problematic computer
Windows XP firewall and windows Essencials

Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector not working, maybe because I'm running in local connection? (wireless is not working, that is why I'm here )

in cmd ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt
Nothing happens.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #4

"in cmd ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt
Nothing happens. "

Actually it did. It created the file ipconfig.txt which you would then either post as an attachment here or you would open it and copy/paste the contents into a post here.

What do you mean xirrus isn't working? Did it install successfully? You don't get a screen when it comes up? Or does it say no wireless adapter found?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Xirrus doesn't do anything and would it help identify a problem with the wireless when I'm using local connection?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Xirrus will report information about the wireless connection . . are you useing a wireless connection?

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #7

yes it will identify the wifi even if you are not using it.

Starting to sound like you have no wifi. Go to device manager and the network section. Do you see your wifi card listed here?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

Strange just now. I connected with an outside "open" wireless connection that was picked up. But it still doesn't connect to my router... Which I unplug to restart. What should I do now? :(
Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found here's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Registered Member

1. Restarted Router
2. Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.
3. I checked my browser's settings for proxy settings. All cleared.
(All above didn't help )
IPCONFIG /ALL

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Yudelquis>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YUDELQUIS
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Car
d
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A4-19-08-9B

C:\Documents and Settings\Yudelquis>

Working on Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector again But, Again I'm on Local connection. Not wireless. Since wireless connection to my router is not working on my laptop but it is on other devices.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Please post a screenshot of Network Connections . . and a screenshot of Device Manager with the Network Adaptor group expanded.

See the link in my signature for how

Old 05-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #12

Your ipconfig isn't showing a wired adapter at all.

BTW ipconfig/all works just like ipconfig /all does. Guess MS got tired of people making mistakes with the command so they reprogrammed it.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Registered Member

Grin

It works now! Thanks to a helper's advice YAY!

I went to the setup page for Linksys on browser by going to http://192.168.1.1

My wireless security mode was under WPA2/WPA mixed mode. I disable the security making it open to test if it'll work. And it did!!

Since leaving it open isn't good, I figure out another option that works. WPA2 Personal worked to!

Thank you so much for trying to help you guys. Didn't think it was due to this that I couldn't use my wireless. No wonder my other devices could go through my wireless with no problem but my laptop in the other hand couldn't. Now everything works
Old 05-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Thanks for posting back!!