Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] VNC Viewer not connecting

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] VNC Viewer not connecting within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys ive googled over the past last hour and tried everything i found. But nothing worked. So here i

Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys ive googled over the past last hour and tried everything i found. But nothing worked. So here i am once again asking the geniuses of TSF for their amazing support! :D

I recently installed VNC on both my laptops, specs below:

HP Pavilion dv7 6163us
Virus/Firewall: Norton 360

Acer Aspire One
Virus/Firewall: NONE

Router Specs:
Linksys Wireless N-Router WRT120N
No firewall enabled

I cannot connect to my VNC Server from the HP to the Acer. I get a connection timeout error. SO i tried
Code:
ping 192.168.2.102
and recieved "Destination host unreachable"

I then disabled my Norton 360 firewall, same result. So i tried pinging my android phone (also connected to same router) and recieved destination host unreachable as well..

I can successfully ping the default gateway, google, and the Modem. But not any devices connected. Why?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Okay, plain and simple, HP laptop wont connect to Acer laptop. But, acer laptop successfully connects to HP laptop. Both machines are running windows 7.

When trying to connect to the acer from my HP i get "connection timed out"

Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Go to Start/Search and type services.msc and press enter. Scroll down to Windows Firewall service in both computers and Disable it. Now VNC will connect.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

If you are getting a timed out error that might be the firewall blocking. If disabling your Norton Security didn't help, uninstall it for now by using the Norton Removal Tool.

I think that you are putting your network at risk.
Quote:
Router Specs:
Linksys Wireless N-Router WRT120N
No firewall enabled
No protection here also? MSE is Free and it's a good Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware protection from Microsoft.
Quote:
Acer Aspire One
Virus/Firewall: NONE

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Go to Start/Search and type services.msc and press enter. Scroll down to Windows Firewall service in both computers and Disable it. Now VNC will connect.
Should of said i already tried that, i even disabled norton 360.. i believe i have narrowed it down to a router issue, as when i make an adhoc network and connect that way it works flawlessly... now what the heck in my router is keeping it from connecting? i mean what gets me is that the acer connects to the HP but not vice versa?

Thanks a bunch for the prompt response :)
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Find out what port(s) VNC are using
Go to an elevated command prompt and type
Quote:
# netstat -tulp | grep vnc
Or try this out: RealVNC - Port forwarding for VNC®
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Find out what port(s) VNC are using
Go to an elevated command prompt and type

Or try this out: RealVNC - Port forwarding for VNC®

Thanks for the link, however i have both machines connected to the SAME wireless router, so i dont see how that is a problem since both machines are on the same private network of 192.168.2.x

Oh and just outta curiosity.. why would you post linux commands in a Windows 7 thread?? Lol..

And ive ran into something totally strange.. i cant ping each machine. Like, i get request timed out error. And now neither machine will connect. Yet internet is working perfectly.

I can ping the internet ( www.google.com) i can ping the router's IP, but i cant ping any device on the private network.

In my router setup, under advanced router, should NAT be enabled? This really hurts my head. Im pretty familiar with networking and whatnot ive taken a course in CISCO but its been awhile..
Old 04-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

Okay this is totally weird. I can ping my android device, but i cant ping any computer connected to the router....
Old 04-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Moved to networking for further help

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hello,

If you are getting a timed out error that might be the firewall blocking. If disabling your Norton Security didn't help, uninstall it for now by using the Norton Removal Tool.

I think that you are putting your network at risk.

No protection here also? MSE is Free and it's a good Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware protection from Microsoft.
Um why are you telling me to remove Norton, after paying for it, and saying to use MSE? Thats just stupid xP lol. No offence. And if i disable the Router firewall doesnt put my network at risk because i have the modem's firewall setup. Im just unblocking everything from my private network. Heres my new thread where im trying to get VNC to work. I dont think its my computer because if i set up an ad-hoc network it works perfectly.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
2xg

I have merged your other Thread here, there's no need to create another one with the same issue.

===========================
From the link that I gave you, it will give you an instruction on how to save your Norton's product key so that you may reinstall it later on after your issue has been resolved.

Norton sometimes can be a pain. Find out why sometimes Norton and other Security software can be the culprit. We've seen them here and have given the advice to remove Norton. I'm not saying it will resolve your issue but it did help to others:

[SOLVED] Connected to WiFi, but cannot connect to Internet

[SOLVED] Internet explorer will not work in regular mode, only safe mode w/networking

Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
I have merged your other Thread here, there's no need to create another one with the same issue.

===========================
From the link that I gave you, it will give you an instruction on how to save your Norton's product key so that you may reinstall it later on after your issue has been resolved.

Norton sometimes can be a pain. Find out why sometimes Norton and other Security software can be the culprit. We've seen them here and have given the advice to remove Norton. I'm not saying it will resolve your issue but it did help to others:

[SOLVED] Connected to WiFi, but cannot connect to Internet

[SOLVED] Internet explorer will not work in regular mode, only safe mode w/networking
Haha well at first i thought the lack of ping was causing my VNC error, i felt that the machines couldnt communicate with each other thus keeping VNC from connecting. So i made a new thread about VNC and not about ping. Because once i did a hard reset to the router i was able to ping (did this yesterday btw) but now today i cant ping from HP to acer just HP -> android device and acer -> android device. And i already knew about Norton blocking some things, so i tested my VNC on an ad-hoc network and it works perfectly, as does ping. I tested on the ad-hoc network with norton 360 active. I have a feeling its the router since it worked on the ad-hoc network i dont see how it can be device related.

I have a spare router at my dad's house, im gonna hook that up and see if it works on that one. This is driving me crazy because some things work while other things shouldnt. xD
Old 04-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

Okay so i booted my HP into Ubuntu. And IT CAN BE PINGED from my brothers Laptop. However, when in windows it cannot be pinged. My brothers laptop can be pinged as well, and he is running the same version of windows without Norton 360. however my Acer is running windows starter without Norton and it cannot be pinged from any machine. I did fully disable norton 360 as above method which unfortunately did not help anything.. its something with windows in general..
Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Networking Team |Tech

Turn the firewall back on.

How to Enable Windows 7 Ping Response in Firewall

----
Above should sort your pinging issue.

MCP | MCDST | MCSA
IT-Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-Barry View Post
Turn the firewall back on.

How to Enable Windows 7 Ping Response in Firewall

----
Above should sort your pinging issue.

You sir are the best. That solved my ping issue and why vnc wasnt connecting. I guess vnc needs ping to test the connection before trying it. I dont know, i just know it works now :) thanks so much!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
2xg

Good job IT-Barry!