Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Using external HD for backup on network

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Using external HD for backup on network within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Two desktop computers with windows 7 home premium. Router: Netgear WNR2000v2 (which is NOT IPv6 compliant). External HD: 2TB Fantom.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Two desktop computers with windows 7 home premium.
Router: Netgear WNR2000v2 (which is NOT IPv6 compliant).
External HD: 2TB Fantom.
I have the external HD connected to one of the desktops via USB. I'd like to use it to back up the second computer to this HD.
How do I get the second computer to recognize this as a backup target?

Incidentally I've had problems getting HomeGroup setup since IPv6 is required for HomeGroup. I assume the problems are because the router isn't IPv6 compliant. I've tried the Microsoft Fixit 50410 (Use IPv4 instead of IPv6 in prefix policies. I've also reverted using Microsoft Fixit 50440 (Enable IPv6).
Thanks for any help.
Hamp

Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me how to get a second computer to recognize an external hard drive connected to another computer as a backup target? Both computer have windows 7(64) home premium?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Management Team Networking

Router has no effect on the lan side of things.
You do not need ipv6 to make a workgroup.

You need to share the usb drive with full control to everyone so the other user account/pc can access it.

Best of have all user accounts on all pcs with same password.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for your response. I do have the permissions set to share with everyone and permissions set as "full control, change and read". When I try to setup the backup on the second computer, (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore) the usb hard drive does NOT show up as a target on the second computer. Any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

You would share the backup drive
Then you would map a drive letter to that share from the other machine.
You should see the drive letter as a choice for distination.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

I have the USB drive mapped on the second computer and it shows up under "My Computer". When I try to change settings (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore) the drive does not show up, the only option I see is the DVD drive. This is soooooo frustrating!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #7

what drive letter did you assign to it?
you click on that drive letter via my computer and it opens up no problem?

Ah I think I know. You are not running the professional or ultimate versions of windows 7. Backing up to a network drive is a function only available in these versions.

Which explains why I can do it on my win7 box.

Backup and Restore - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

Well I'll be darned! Wish I had known about that before I wasted so much time trying to backup to a network drive in Windows 7 home premium. I guess that information is buried deep somewhere in the help or backup instructions but I never found it. Thanks again for the info.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
Ah I think I know. You are not running the professional or ultimate versions of windows 7. Backing up to a network drive is a function only available in these versions.
Good call. Personally, I hate Win 7 backup. You could use another backup software program like Acronis True Image or Ghost, install it on both PCs and use the USB drive the way Wand3r3r explained as above.

Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks but both these cost extra money that I cannot afford right now. One reason I upgraded to Windows 7 was so all my home computers would be running the same OS and hopefully could backup to one HD.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Bluesman, there has to be a decent free program you can use that's better than Windows. Here's one link from a quick Google search. Try a few of them out or maybe someone will suggest a good, free alternative.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thank you for the link, I'll do some reading!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

You could try macrium reflect free edition.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
Old 08-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help and links. I after reading a lot I downloaded DriveImage XML. I worked like a charm on the other desktop backup to the network usb drive. I also installed it on a laptop we have and started the backup. It stated that the estimated time to complete was about 9 hours. This may be due to the fact that this is a slower processor and wireless connection. I'll probably connect the usb drive directly to the laptop and see if it is any faster. Anyway the interface was very simple even for me the non-geek. TheCyberMan I have bookmarked the link to Macrium Reflect and probably try it at a later time. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Have used driveimage xml from time to time in the past it's a decent backup program and backup time should be reduced considerably when ext hd is connected to laptop.

Glad to hear it's sorted.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Ditto, glad to hear you found something! I've used older versions of DriveImage XML a couple times as well and had no problems with it.