Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Unable to connect to internet with Windows 7

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Unable to connect to internet with Windows 7 within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I registered in order to post here about my problem as it seems that you all are knowledgeable

Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I registered in order to post here about my problem as it seems that you all are knowledgeable and would be able to fix my dilemma.

Basically my desktop computer no longer connects to the internet, and I'll try to describe the problem to you all to the best of my ability.

I ran ipconfig /all and it is attached.

The problem first started a few weeks back and I haven't been able to get around to it due to school. When trying to connect to my router it will connect with limited connectivity (in other words, at the bottom right of the screen when you check the SSID you're connected to, it will show the signal strength, but it also has a yellow exclamation mark indicating it has no connectivity. When I ran the built-in troubleshooter on it, I received multiple things:

- sometimes: "windows could not automatically detect this network proxy settings"
- sometimes: "no errors detected"

Of course I would've done a system restore long ago, however initially I thought the problem was the adapter so I kept re-installing the drivers, I even went to buy other network adapters to make sure my adapter wasn't the one that was defective (I have an ASUS adapter, the other adapters I've tried were D-Link, and Netgear which is also the brand of my router which is very old). Because of all these installs/uninstalls, the old system restores I had were gone.

I suppose it'd be helpful to mention that I have Windows 7 64 bit, I'm using wireless connectivity and cannot try ethernet cable due to the immobility of my desktop and problems it would generate around the house.

I've attempted to change the IP address of my network properties of ivp4 to defaults, change the DNS server, check my DHCP, check my services, check my registry, and many other things found on the internet (including resetting with netsh)

I'm just about out of my wits, I'd be grateful if I could receive some assistance.

Feel free to ask for more details, I'll happily provide them.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig emily.txt (4.0 KB, 102 views)

Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

Apologies, I just read the sticky and noticed the pre posting requirements.

Please Post the following along with a detail description of your issue:
Who is your ISP? AT&T

What type of broadband are you using? DSL

List all the Make and Model of your Modem, Router or Modem/Router combo.
I am unsure of this as my brother has all the technical information about the router, I only know that it is a Netgear router.

List and Name all Anti-Virus, Security or Firewall Software installed from the problematic computer.
I have Comodo Internet Security and just yesterday I installed MalwareBytes to scan for possible viruses (none came up).

Also an important note is that my other devices will connect, my laptop, netbook, and iPhone all connect to the internet with the router fine.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Management Team Networking

uninstall comodo and see if you can connect
Wand3r3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
uninstall comodo and see if you can connect
Thanks for the quick reply,

I've already attempted to uninstall it previously but was unable to because of a blue screen. But I have disabled the internet so it shouldn't be a problem.

Do you think there are any other possibilities as to why I'm unable to connect? I'll give another go at uninstalling Comodo but I don't think that's the problem.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Try using Revo Uninstaller . . It will uninstall stubborn apps. Use the most aggressive unstall option

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Try using Revo Uninstaller . . It will uninstall stubborn apps. Use the most aggressive unstall option

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems
Thanks, I'll post up an update later today when I get home with the results.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

I removed Comodo Internet Security and nothing has changed with regards to the internet connectivity, it remains the same.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

You have some excess ISATAP adaptors in there. If you go into Device Manager, click on View, Show hidden devices then click on Network Adaptors, delete all (#2,#3 etc) except the original.

You've also said that you have tried reinstalling the drivers. Did you uninstall first then reboot or just go to the manufacturer's site and download from there. I'm asking this because you say it isn't practical for you to wire up.

On the odd occasion when I've had this problem, I've uninstalled the wireless adaptor including the software, wired up and did a fresh install from the manufacturer's site.

On one other occasion, I found it was Norton's Intrusion Prevention playing up and a fresh re-install of Norton 360 resolved that.

In Device Manager are there any yellow alerts against the Network Adaptors. I think you will need to decide which among the Wireless Adaptors/routers etc you are going to use as it could be confusing the hell out of the system with all those there. Once you have decided, uninstall the others, ticking the box to include the software so that when you do switch back on, they will not auto re-install.

When you've cleaned up the system, we'll see where we can go from there, although I've also found that a router factory reset can cure a lot of ills.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

Currently I'm playing around with
"ancillary function driver for winsock" and tried starting it, with no avail. So I ran sfc /scannow which told me it wasn't able to fix all files.

I uninstalled the extra ISATAP adapters you told me about, I'm sure the adapter works fine because I've tested it with my laptop. I already checked for norton (it wasn't on there to begin with I believe).
Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

There are no yellow alerts in "network adapters" however there are several adapters and miniports.

ASUS 802.11n network adapter

Microsoft 6to4 adapter
Microsoft ISATAP adapter
Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter #3
Realtek pcie gbe family controller
Teledo Tunneling pseudo-interface
... (several things)
WAN Miniports (8 of them)
Old 03-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Registered Member

I don't really have access to the router (it's in my brothers room and he won't assist me with my dilemma so I'm on my own with this), but other devices will connect to the router so I don't believe that is the issue.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

I only mentioned Norton as an example of an instance that I'd experienced.

Did the sfc /scannow list the files it couldn't repair. If it didn't, then run sfc /verifyonly and see what that comes up with.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishigori View Post
There are no yellow alerts in "network adapters" however there are several adapters and miniports.

ASUS 802.11n network adapter

Microsoft 6to4 adapter
Microsoft ISATAP adapter
Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter #3
Realtek pcie gbe family controller
Teledo Tunneling pseudo-interface
... (several things)
WAN Miniports (8 of them)
I'd noticed the virtual miniport adaptor #3 and thought with all you have tried, that was from an USB, but as you are running off your brother's router, then you can uninstall that one as well.

The family controller is the driver for the Ethernet connection. The WAN Miniports are fine but you can uninstall anything that is listed as #number because it is a duplication.

The ASUS is the main wireless adaptor.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Registered Member

My CBS log is obnoxiously large (over 10 mb)

Thanks for the info, I'll delete the Miniport adapter.
For some reason the Microsoft ISATAP Adapter duplicated itself.

EDIT: I edited previous versions out. I'm not sure how to look at the stuff but the log is there.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CBS.txt (1.94 MB, 9 views)
Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Registered Member

asdfs
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glox
You can try this

Open start menu, in search box type ncpa.cpl

Right click your wireless connection select properties

Double click on internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IP)

Check both Obtain an IP Address/DNS Server automatically

In the search box type cmd, right click the cmd icon and select run as administrator

Enter the command netsh winsock reset

And then netsh int ip reset log.txt

Reboot your computer
It was already set to obtain automatically.
I just did the winsock and ip reset, and restarted.
There is still the limited connectivity on the bottom right and the network and sharing center has my pc then the middle part says identifying and on the right is internet.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

Run the applicable tool from Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 it may resolve the 0x80070490 error.

The 0x80004005 seems to be a bit nondescript.

I'm going to have to go as it's after 2.00am here in the UK.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Uninstall completely both ISATAP adaptors and reboot. Check to see if it has auto reinstalled, if it hasn't then you can reinstate it via Device Manager >> Action >> Add legacy hardware.

Leave it on the default auto and if it takes you to the window where Show All is highlighted, click next then scroll down the left window and select Microsoft. Scroll down in the right window and select Microsoft ISATAP Adaptor and follow the prompts.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15
Run the applicable tool from Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 it may resolve the 0x80070490 error.

The 0x80004005 seems to be a bit nondescript.

I'm going to have to go as it's after 2.00am here in the UK.
Thanks Tomken, I appreciate the help. I've got to go too so I'll update this thread in 10 hours or so
Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Been having bit of a Google on this and in a number of cases, a restore resolved the problem. As you don't have a suitable restore point to fall back on and that sfc /scannow reported unable to fix all files, then I think the quickest way to attempt to resolve this would be to take your Win 7 back to factory default through a HDD Recovery, having first backed up your files.

If that proves successful, then it would be advisable to create regular system images, perhaps on a monthly basis as I do after the Win updates or whenever I've downloaded any progs.