Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Unable to access webpages and sometimes internet

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Unable to access webpages and sometimes internet within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm having a problem which has been going on for quite awhile and I've tried everything that I can think

Old 02-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm having a problem which has been going on for quite awhile and I've tried everything that I can think of or that my friends have suggested and now I'm hoping that someone here has something we haven't thought of.

I'll try to give you as much info as possible

Problem: Unable to access webpages and sometimes internet

I will be on my laptop which is the main computer I use (I usually use it wirelessly although I'm having the same problem now, even when I'm hardwired) and suddenly I can't access some or all websites. This isn't just normal dropping for a few seconds at a time, this can last for hours sometimes. Meanwhile, the desktop computer which is directly connected, doesn't have any problems at all.

Sometimes I can open certain pages, but not others.

IE error msg: Interet Explorer cannot display the webpage

FF error msg: Server not found - Firefox can't find the server at (url) or The connection has timed out

This problem is very sporadic ... sometimes I can go DAYS with no problem at all.

Here is what I have tried so far:

- clear cookies (this works temporarily - and only some of the times, not always)
- flush dns
- clear cache
- checked host file
- ran Windows Diagnostic & Repair
- tried with IE and FF with same results
- removed proxy settings
- ran numerous scans (malwarebytes, Eset Nod 32)
- ran CC Cleaner
- switched to opendns and google dns
- added site urls to Host file
- ran Microsoft FixIt
- reset TCP/IP

Also, when I can't open web pages, I can still chat on chat clients such as google talk and it doesn't affect my streaming from justin.tv unless I refresh or try to change the channel...then I just get the error message (The Connection has timed out) - In those situations it seems that I am connected to the net, just having trouble calling pages.

Computer Specs:
Asus N80Vm
Vista

Thanks for reading this and I hope that someone has an idea...I'll try ANYTHING!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds like you are losing your wi-fi signal. Download the Xirrus wifi inspector and install it on your laptop. Have it running and you will probably see a fluctuating signal or even a drop out completely. What kind of router are you using? I suggest changing to channel 1 or channel 14 to get a clear signal and see if that helps.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

I downloaded the inspector and I don't see any connection problems, but the pingtest.net that they have on there to test quality, showed that I had massive packet loss...like 98% - but when I did a ping test from the cmd box (pinging google or yahoo) there was no packet loss at all...so I assume that pingtest.net isnt very accurate.

The tech from my isp came out to my house today and changed out cables and other things and tested my modem/router (UBEE DDW3611) and while he was doing that, my laptop worked great. I had no problem opening web pages and for the next hour or so everything was okay. But then the problem started again...

Currently I am hardwired which doesn't have any effect at all and I'm able to open a webpage about 1 time out of every 15 tries, but the page usually has no graphics - if I leave the page up, eventually it will fully open with all the graphics but this can take quite awhile.

Any more suggestions?? I appreciate any advice at all
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi Cindy12,

Try resetting your Windows Hosts File to default, here's how.

Make sure to switch your LAN and Wireless settings back to DHCP including your DNS's.

Let's also do a Clean Boot by following this guide.

Also, restart your computer, Tap F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking. In here see if you can browse.

Pls. give us a update.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for your awesome instructions with Links :) - that really helps a noob like me!

Try resetting your Windows Hosts File to default

When I attempted to change the host file using the directions given in the link provided I found that there was NO host file there! The directions given led me to Computer-->Vista64-->Windows. The host file that I'd seen and edited in the past was in Vista64-->Windows-->System32-->drivers-->etc

So I added a host file to the correct location with the info given but that didn't resolve the problem.

Make sure to switch your LAN and Wireless settings back to DHCP including your DNS's.

They were already set to DHCP

Let's also do a Clean Boot
This didn't have any effect...I had everything unchecked and still had the problem

restart your computer, Tap F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking. In here see if you can browse.
AHA...finally!!!!!!!!!!! I'm able to open webpages in safe mode, even when I cant in normal mode.

So, I'm guessing that its a program issue? Does that mean its time for a format?

I dont understand why I can be going along, working fine, then suddenly no pages will open for me. Also, I can be chatting away in skype or google talk while the pages wont open...whatever is wrong, its only affecting my browsing.

But whatever is wrong, I am so happy that we're getting closer to resolving it!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
2xg

This is really great news. I'm glad to you were able to follow the directions very well.
Quote:
restart your computer, Tap F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking. In here see if you can browse.
AHA...finally!!!!!!!!!!! I'm able to open webpages in safe mode, even when I cant in normal mode.
Next task for you to do: Uninstall completely any Anti-Virus or Security Software that you have installed. You may use Revo Uninstaller to completely uninstall programs and all remnants.

For now install MSE for protection.

Test your connection after in Normal boot.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

3 Days with NO problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used the Revo Uninstaller to remove my antivirus and security (Eset Nod 32 and Malwarebytes) and any other programs I didn't want...so I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I haven't had any problems since. I'm going to wait a few more days before confirming this as resolved but I'm pretty sure that its fixed.

Just wanted to say thanks for your help...I was about send this laptop through the window. You saved its life.

I'll be sure to post in a few more days :)
Old 03-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
2xg

Good news Cindy12, please keep us posted.