Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] STatic Route Not Working

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] STatic Route Not Working within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. We recently bought a new linksys WR110N router bt we set it to use 802.11g only. Our old linksys router

Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Question

We recently bought a new linksys WR110N router bt we set it to use 802.11g only.

Our old linksys router was a WRT54G ver. 2. The firmware has been updated on that one.

We have 2 floors, and i was planing on making the old one an access point for the network.

I began the process, i configured the 54G to have a local IP of 192.168.1.2, as the 110N has a local IP of 192.168.1.1.

I disabled the DHCP server on the 54G.

Right now, there is an ethernet cable running from the 110N trhough the floor down to an ethernet port on the 54G.

Yet, when i go to the configuration of the 110N and go to advanced routing, it does not accept the following static route as a valid route:

Destination LAN IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0

i did not change the default gateway, but i did try setting the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2

i do not understand why this is an invalid route.

help with this is much appreciated.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

First off, what are you trying to do with this? If you're just using it to extend the wireless reach, perhaps you should try this configuration.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Up

You were right, a static route was not needed in the first place.
For some reason, i had local access if i was connectedto the secondary access point, but no internet. i tried everything again and it worked fine.

thanks for the help!