Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] New Thread - Had or Have Virus that affected my Network Adapters

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] New Thread - Had or Have Virus that affected my Network Adapters within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. no, leave the file on your desktop for now. Windows should have rebuilt a new file in that folder anyway.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #41
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

no, leave the file on your desktop for now. Windows should have rebuilt a new file in that folder anyway. After you deleted the file, did you double click the chipset drivers installation file to start the install or did Windows just automatically try and install the driver?

Let me do some more digging.

Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #42
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Try this for the heck of it. Look on your C: drive and see if you have a folder named Swsetup. Then look in the subfolders down to C:\swsetup\SP39535\WinVista32\Ethernet. There should be files there.

Go into Device Manager and right click on your nvidia network card and select update driver then Browse my computer. Copy and paste this into the location box C:\swsetup\SP39535\WinVista32\Ethernet and see what happens.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin
Try this for the heck of it. Look on your C: drive and see if you have a folder named Swsetup. Then look in the subfolders down to C:\swsetup\SP39535\WinVista32\Ethernet. There should be files there.

Go into Device Manager and right click on your nvidia network card and select update driver then Browse my computer. Copy and paste this into the location box C:\swsetup\SP39535\WinVista32\Ethernet and see what happens.
That's what I do when windows doesn't find it to begin with. I notice in C:\swsetup\SP39535\WinVista32\Ethernet that there are two dll's (fdco1.dll and nconrm.dll) but only the nconrm.dll is listed in the driver details for the controller in the device manger. The other dll in the drivers details is fdco2.dll. Which is different than that under the C:\swsetup\SP39535\WinVista32\Ethernet.

Could this by chance have anything to do with my problem?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #44
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Sounds like you're way ahead of me . I think the difference in the .dll files you see is the difference in driver versions, plus I think you have an incomplete install.

Repeat the above steps, but instead of specifying the search path, click "Let Me Pick from a list". Then click Have Disk and browse to that same folder.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #45
Registered Member

Lol.. Yep have done that too.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #46
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

DOH!! And you still get that Windows error message?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #47
Registered Member

So I was looking at the drive key under details in the device manger. And I thought to myself what dies that look like in the registry. When I did a regedit, it opened right to that key.. Bit that I know what I am looking at or anything, but user the key is a folder called Properties and when I click on it I get a error opening key message that says Properties cannot be opened. An error is preventing this key from being opened. Details: Access is denied.

Is this related to the fact the hardware isn't installed?

What would happen if I delete the key associated with the driver..??.. Would it re-creat the key..??..
Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #48
Registered Member

Yes I do still get the exact same error message, no matter what I do.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #49
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

A couple more ideas. Go to C:Windows\Inf and look for nvfd6032.inf. Rename it to nvfd6032.OLD. If you see another file with the same name and different extension like PNF, rename it to nvfd6032.OLDpnf

Go back and repeat the last step I gave for manually installing. If that doesn't work, try right clicking on C:\swsetup\SP39535\WinVista32\Ethernet\nvfd6032.inf and select Install.

Not sure. The registry issue might be permissions related. You can click Permissions in the menu and see ow they're set.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #50
Registered Member

Fred,

Quote:
A couple more ideas. Go to C:Windows\Inf and look for nvfd6032.inf. Rename it to nvfd6032.OLD. If you see another file with the same name and different extension like PNF, rename it to nvfd6032.OLDpnf
These files do not exist in C:Windows\Inf. They only exist in C:\swsetup\SP39535\WinVista32\Ethernet\
Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #51
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Try uninstalling the network card driver in device manager. Then without rebooting, try the manual install methods above to point directly to the swsetup folder and manually choose the network card.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #52
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

I'm going to ask some other guys to take a look at this thread and see if they have any ideas. I'm still pretty certain it's a windows issue. Anything else that I'd try I can't walk you through over the internet and wouldn't do w/o a complete system image for a backup.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #53
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Cad, also, do you know how to clear out all your Windows temp files? Try ATF cleaner

Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #54
Registered Member

Fred,
Quote:
Try uninstalling the network card driver in device manager. Then without rebooting, try the manual install methods above to point directly to the swsetup folder and manually choose the network card.
I tried the manual install so many times, it isn't funny.. I have tried it in safe mode, and normal mode.. I have uninstalled the software, ran the driver sweep, reinstalled, rebooted, re downloaded the exe files from Compaq, I think I can do it with my eyes closed now..

Of course, thanks for all your help..
Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #55
Registered Member

I don't know if this helps at all.. But several post ago, I mentioned that there was another device in the device manager that showed up yellow but I don't know what it was.. Well it hadn't showed up again until now.. I booted into safe mode and was going to run the uninstalls and driver sweep 1 more time before I gave up for the night.. Went in the device manager to make sure the devices were removed and there it was..

It is under System Devices.. It shows as the Coprocessor.. If I look at the properties on it.. it says.. "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I haven't done anything more.. Any thoughts..??..
Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #56
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

See if you can uninstall it in Device Manager.

Manually cleaning some of this stuff out of the registry is where I'd go next, but not w/o a backup as I mentioned previously.

A couple other options which I almost never resort to are: reinstalling Vista (you may have a factory restore partition on the laptop), or maybe a repair install.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #57
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Let's backup a bit. Go back to your C:\Windows\inf folder and delete all the files below (just leave them in your Recycle bin). You may have to change the file permissions as you did before. Then try and install one of the drivers again. If no good, reboot and try again. The reboot will take a bit before Windows is completely loaded.

DRVINDEX.DAT
INFPUB.DAT
INFSTOR.DAT
INFSTRNG.DAT
INFCACHE
SETUPAPI

Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #58
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddman View Post

Long story short, My sister bought a Compaq CQ60-215DX laptop from someone she works with about 1 month ago with Windows Vista 32 as the OS.
Hi -

Given that your sister purchased the system from another, I would suggest that you reinstall Vista using the HDD Recovery Partition or the Compaq Recovery DVD to get a fresh start. You really have no idea what the previous owner did with the system or what files were left behind.

Compaq Presario CQ60-215DX Notebook PC - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...roduct=3860070

See pages 7-8 - Vista Recovery - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01662115.pdf

To reinstall Vista using the HDD recovery partition, press F11 during boot-up.

If the HDD recovery partition does not work and you don't have the Compaq recovery discs, you can purchase a replacement set from HP/ Compaq for ~$25.

OEM / Retail Recovery Discs + Recovery Instructions

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
jcgriff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #59
Registered Member

Which SETUPAPI files..??.. I have several:
setupapi.app.log
setupapi.app.old.log
setupapi.dev.log
setupapi.ev1
setupapi.ev2
setupapi.ev3
setupapi.offline.log
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #60
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

All of em!! Same for Infcache if there's more than 1.