Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Network Cable Unplugged icon

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Network Cable Unplugged icon within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. About a week ago an ISP tech replaced my cable modem (to support a recent system upgrade at Time Warner)

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

About a week ago an ISP tech replaced my cable modem (to support a recent system upgrade at Time Warner) and it worked fine (with my wireless router) for several hours. When the speed dropped sharply I did a power cycle of the modem, router and Desktop PC (which connects via Cat5 cable). Since then cannot connect to the internet on this PC and this PC always shows network cable unplugged at both the network ports built-in on the motherboard (they worked fine for a year) and on 2 PC cards I have tried (one new, one used for a day 2 years ago). No lights come on when a live Cat5 is plugged into either built-in port but the LEDs do shine on both of the network cards (a Kingston and a Realtek). Am now bypassing the router and have tried releasing and renewing the IP address numerous times using the Command prompt. This was not effective because it always shows 'Media disconnected'. Also have tried Repair via Network Connections numerous times. When connected via either of the PCI cards Windows tries to restore the IP address for about 30-45 seconds then stops and indicates it was unable to repair the connection. Both PCI cards are seen by Device Manger and DM shows both "working properly". Have subbed out several Cat5 cables (all work fine when connecting to a Dell laptop). I have powered down the cable modem and PC numerous times.
Since I have a decent internet signal (3900 to 5000kbps speed with direct connection to the laptop) can I rule out the cable modem as a cause? Any advice on other checks I can try?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

and welcome to the Forum

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?

Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, I have tried a total of 3 ethernet (Cat 5) cables, all of which work fine when connecting my laptop to the cable modem.
Curt
Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

OS: Vista,XP, Windows 7, Server 2003, Server 2008 R2 and Linux.

so i believe that the new cable new modem works fine with your laptop over the cable? but it will not work for you pc?

if not can you try connecting the laptop to the modem and see if it works.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

The laptop connects fine when wired directly to the cable modem.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

If you have tried other cables, I'd try a new network card . . it may have issues
Old 11-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Shut down all systems (Modem , Router, PC's, Laptops) unplug ALL of them from the Power Source.
Boot up the modem First (wait for a few minutes)
Boot up Router (wait for a few minutes)
Boot up PC (wait for a few minutes), Then see if it connects to the internet. If it does then Boot up the any wireless computers one at a time and see if they connect to the internet.
Bill
Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Bill: Thanks for your post. At the onset of this incident I consulted my support guy over the phone and he had me me do these steps several times. Have also been thru numerous attempts to disable/enable the various wired connections, used ipconfig to release and renew, have tried several ethernet cables (all of which are fine when used to connect to our laptop), installed a used PC card and later replaced that with a new PC card. (In Device Manager both cards show "This device is working properly"). The built-in network ports have no lights when cabled but also show up as "working properly".

It was after I had been thru all these standard checks and substitutions numerous times over 10 days that I decided this was perhaps a more complex problem and I submitted the issue to TS Forum. As noted above, my laptop does connect adequately (at ~4900kbps) when directly cabled to the cable modem. I'm prepared to wait another day or so to see if any new suggestions come in before I bite the bullet and take the PC in for a complete check-up.

Curt
Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Curt
Still no luck?
What is the exact make and model of your laptop?
Does the laptop connect to the internet when hardwired to the router?
Can other laptops connect wirelessly to your router?
Bill
Old 11-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hi Bill:
The router is perhaps another problem. Since this incident began I have not been able to establish either wired or wireless connections thru the router so have been connecting to the laptop directly or attempting to connect directly to the Desktop PC. My router is a 4 port wireless 802G--Linksys brand, about 2 years old. The desktop was wired to this. I have done a manual reset on it when connected in and powered up. This has not helped in restoring the IP address. I may have removed all traces of the SSID with the reset since a recent wireless attempt showed a Linksys signal but no evidence of the old SSID. My question to you is could my PC be looking for the router address and as result be unable to renew and then connect directly? I've had zero trouble with this router before and so have never had to troubleshoot it.
Curt
Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Reset the router to Factory specs. Hit the reset key with it powered up (hold it for 30 sec), but nothing attached to it (PC or laptop,modem should be ALL powered off).
If you can connect (hardwired) to the modem (Laptop and PC) and have internet access ,the modem is OK. But if you hardwire the laptop or PC to the router and do not have an internet connection, your router maybe the issue. Are your connections correct?
Have you replaced the cable from the modem to the router?
If all else fails, replace the router. If you can connect to the modem (with no issues). but not through the router (if connected correctly) the router is to blame. The router only acts as a bridge (it could fail).
Bill
Bill
Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.
  • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
  • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
  • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
  • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
  • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
  • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
Registered Member

Here is the CMD Screen withe cable modem connected to #6.
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Arial;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1515;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]\par
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.\par
\par
C:\\Documents and Settings\\Curt>ipconfig /all\par
\par
Windows IP Configuration\par
\par
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : curt-30536JE3DI\par
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : NEW\par
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown\par
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No\par
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No\par
\par
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:\par
\par
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected\par
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit\par
Ethernet NIC\par
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8D-B5-2B-49\par
\par
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:\par
\par
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected\par
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit\par
Ethernet NIC #2\par
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8D-B5-2B-4A\par
\par
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 6:\par
\par
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :\par
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth\par
ernet NIC\par
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-0F-C3-E9-4C\par
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes\par
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes\par
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.106.54\par
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0\par
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.106.54\par
\par
C:\\Documents and Settings\\Curt>\par
}
Since my last post I have uninstalled Norton Int. Security to remove that as a possible cause. All the previous readings of "Working properly" are unchanged and attempts to "repair" via Network Connections still run for about 45 seconds and fail.
Curt
Old 11-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
Microsoft MVP

My System

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks Johnwill: Did both of these resets and still no connection. Also uninstalled Norton Internet Security to eliminate that as a possible contributor. I ran ipconfig /all again and am still getting 169.254.106.54 for both the Autoconfiguration IP and Default Gateway values. Appears that Windows is still not seeing my Ethernet card.
This has been a learning experience for me but I have a small web site I need to put up soon and we can't get by on sharing one small laptop indefinitely. Thanks for your patience and suggestions. Will be taking the PC in for a check-up later today.
Curt
Old 11-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #16
Microsoft MVP

My System

Windows sees the card, but the card doesn't see the DHCP server. If you're connected to a known good port and using a good cable, you may have a bad NIC.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
Registered Member

Johnwill: Had my PC checked out at a local shop I've dealt with before. Using a medium speed DSL broadband connection coming off their router they connected fine on the new Realtek NIC and with the 2 on-boards. Back at home I'm still connecting fine on the laptop (Cat 5e cable from the cable modem) but the PC still won't connect, doesn't renew its IP address and still generates 169.254.106.54 from ipconfig /all. In TCP/IP protocol the card properties are set to "Obtain IP Address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically". These settings work fine on the laptop. The tech at the shop at the shop recommends trying a different cable modem.
My dilemma: My ISP (Time Warner) replaced my modem some weeks ago. At their end they say its working fine and feel my connection to my laptop proves that. They won't replace the modem and I can't connect on my primary PC--Impasse. Frustrating at this end. Any further tweaks you can suggest?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #18
Microsoft MVP

My System

You can't connect that PC to either the router or the modem directly? If so, I'd have to seriously consider replacing the NIC in spite of it working elsewhere.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #19
Registered Member

Had to threaten to halt our ISP service to get a tech out to the house. The tech was convinced the computer was the problem, did a few of the easy resets and was prepared to leave before I convinced him to at least try subbing in a new modem. Sure enough that was the problem. Yesterday a Level 1 tech person did admit to me that my problem was rare but not unique. They have had cases locally where a modem only connects with one computer in a household but not the others. Today's service person actually put in a new modem, very rare as Time Warner uses virtually all refurbs to keep costs down he admitted. So far both PCs running at 6800+ and behaving well. Am tempted to write them about the quality of their equipment since I spent lots of time on this, incurred costs for a new card and diagnosis services and was unable to do site updates for 21 days. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi,
This is about the 4th issue I have had with Time Warner in the last week (In NY). The can all ping the MODEM from thier end and state everything is OK! and BLAME it on something else. But as you have found out (I did to) that the Modem WAS at FAULT. I had the same situation. Just to let you know you are not alone.
I am Glad to hear you have it resolved (for now anyway). Do not hope for too long though, as I have had Clients with the SAME issue have had the MODEM replace atleast once a month from TW.
Bill
Bill