Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] My Vaio won't connect to my home wifi

17K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  2xg 
#1 ·
I have several different computers that connect to my home wifi connection through my router and they are either Windows Vista or Windows XP. This is the only Windows 7 I think or maybe not, I have a new little mini that has Windows 7 I think, however, I am not able to get this computer to connect. I have unplugged the modem, unplugged the router, restarted my computer, checked my wifi connection and no matter what I do it will not connect. Help.

#4 ·
Re: My Vaio won't connect to my home wifi

When you say "it won't connect", you will have to be more specific. Do you click on your wifi network, supply your password, and then get a "windows was unable to connect to your wireless network" message? We need specifics, please tell us the exact process you take.

Is your network password-protected to start with, or open?

#5 ·

and welcome to the Forum

I moved your post to the Network Forum . .

In addition to the questions above, Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if foundhere's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

#6 ·

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Sandra>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Sandra-VAIO
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-81-58-F7-77-28
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ether
net Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-BE-C0-4E-4A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::40b5:cc0d:9caa:bed%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.7(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:53:24 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:53:24 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234888634
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-FE-8C-0A-00-24-BE-C0-4E-4A
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Tunnel adapter isatap.{94C285ED-C7EF-4DF7-9424-ED82B6BEB9A0}:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Tunnel adapter isatap.{1B4C9337-1350-489A-8601-C7E07B94A658}:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:c08:3843:3f57:fef8(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c08:3843:3f57:fef8%14(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
C:\Users\Sandra>

Is this what you want? I turned off my other laptop, I did some of the other things you said to do, I saw my test on Xirrus but can't figure out how to send the report to you, it shows I have great reception, it also shows I am picking up about 7 or 8 other wireless connections. I can remove them, but haven't yet. Wanted to send you the CMD, ipconfig report. I think it's possible I know what the problem is. For some reason, the netgear router I have makes you supply it with the mac address of the computer or whatever it is you are connecting. I might not have had the correct mac address and therefore, put in the wrong number. If I figure out which is the real mac address, I can try to put it into the router and then it may work. Is the number taht says physical address under the wireless adapter #2c-81-58-f7-77-28 the correct mac address? If so, that may be all that is wrong and I just need to put that number in. I have added all the other computers before and they worked fine. Also, wasn't sure if it might be because it was Windows 7 as opposed to Vista or XP? and one more thing, perhaps I have something in my Windows 7 Vaio turned off that needs to be turned on and I don't know it. I am not used to Windows 7 as muych as the XP. Thanks, Sandra

#9 ·
It was already marked as solved. I tried to click on to mark it solved and it marked it unsolved so I marked it solved again.! I feel uncomfortable leaving all my computer info on the post. Is there any danger of it being out there? Is there a way to remove it? Is it necessary? Thanks. Sandra

#10 ·
Hello,

The ipconfig /all output is safe. There are million of you that are using similar Private IP Addresses, you'll be fine.

If you would have posted Public IP Address (which is not safe), one of our Mods would have caughte and remove it quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.