Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Linksys wrt54G router with Embarq 660 series modem

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Linksys wrt54G router with Embarq 660 series modem within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi.. I am the first time user of this forum. Here is myproblem. I recently got an Embarq 660 series

Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hi..

I am the first time user of this forum. Here is myproblem. I recently got an Embarq 660 series dsl modem. I also have a wireless broadband router from linksys WRT54G V5 that I used to use prior to moving to here. My dsl modem works fine with the ethernet connection. That is.. Ethernet cable running between the modem and my computer. I want to make this a wireless connection so I unplugged the ether net cable from my computer and hooked it on the internet slot on the linksys router. I almost had it worked at one pooint. I was able to get on to 192.168.1.1 and logged on and wanted to change my SSID info etc. When I went to the last panel to check status and do the connect testing.. it failed. I cant get to 192.168.1.1 anymore. so I unhooked everything and restarted my computer and plugged the etherneet cable back on to my computer and did the ipconfig /all. It took me to the Embarq configuration panels that kinda looks like linksys configuration panels.
The problem of accessing it as wireless still exists. Second thing is why is it everytime if i check to do ipconfig the ip address changes. frm 192.168.2.1 and then to xxx.xxx. 2.2 etc. Can you explain these two problems and help me to use my computer wireless. Thank you.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems.

Once we get wired connections working properly, we can configure the wireless capability.
  • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
  • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
  • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
  • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
  • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
  • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

I got it to work. As you mentioned on the router, I had to change the setup to DHCP. It works fine now. Thank you