Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Limited or no connectivity on wired connection - Windows 7 - 64bit

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  2xg 
#1 ·
I haven't been using any wired connection for quite long time. Today I had to use a wired connection on my PC which used to work before normally but now it started showing the "Limited or no connectivity" message.

I've tired the wired connection on my Laptop and that failed as well. all wireless connections work perfectly.

Wired connections is being made directly from my PC/Laptop to the router.

Router is (Linksys WAG160N)

- I am getting a private IP address 169.***.**.**
- The ethernet cable is not faulty as I tried 3 different brand new cables.
- The ethernet ports themselves are fine (2 NIC cards on my PC, and one on my laptop) all gave same result.
- Router ports are not faulted as the port LED is green and also I've tried different ports on the router with same result.
- DHCP is Enabled on the Router
- TCP/IPv4 & TCP/IPv6 are both set to obtain IP automatically

I've tired with failure the following steps after I looked up my issue on the Internet:
- Windows repair
- Windows safe mode to eliminate firewall
- Rebooting both PC and Router
- Uninstall and Reinstall of NIC card driver
- IP release/renew/flushdns
- Reset TCP/IP Stack: netsh int ip reset reset.log
- Reset WINSOCK entries: netsh winsock reset catalog

The output of "ipconfig /all"
=================
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Uchiha
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Server Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-C2-37-60
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e10e:c318:d4c1:d50%16(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.13.80(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 352322595
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0A-84-D9-30-00-12-3F-54-A4-85

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
=================

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have wireless NIC on my PC and I'm in a bad need to have internet connection on it.

Many Thanks.

Cheers,
Mohamed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Limited or no connectivity on wired connection - Windows 7 - 64bit

Welcome to TSF,

Have you tried a different ethernet port in your router's and wired connect the desktop and laptop?

Have you tried connecting them directly to the Modem if there's a separate one?

#5 · (Edited)

Welcome to TSF,

Have you tried a different ethernet port in your router's and wired connect the desktop and laptop?

Have you tried connecting them directly to the Modem if there's a separate one?
Yes I've tried different ports. Router and modem are the same hardware.

Also please try assigning a static IP to your PC or laptop and see if you could get onto internet. Please share the results.

Thanks,
B
I've tried that but no luck. I've captured a screenshot of the output and attaching it to this reply.

it looks like you are not getting an ip address from your router. 169.254.x.x is the address your pc assigns itself when it requests an address from a DHCP server but isn't given one. So, the problem appears to be with your router as it is not giving out addresses.

If you are sure you have connectivity between your router and you pc (i.e. the cable is good) then reboot. Double check DHCP is enabled.

If you still have this problem you may have buggy firmware. Update to the latest version on the Linksys website.

If you still have the problem then you should try resetting the router to default and re-entering the necessary settings.

You are 100% correct about the first part regarding the IP. Yes I also suspect that the problem is with the router itself, but not sure what exactly.

Could be that the Ethernet switch part of the router is defective but when I connect an Ethernet cable to it the LED starts to blink both sides "Router/PC". So this means the PC detects that there's a connection but cannot obtain an IP.

the DHCP settings looks fine both sides, and I've tried the reboot and reset of configuration to the router but no luck.

I might try the firmware upgrade option.

#4 ·

it looks like you are not getting an ip address from your router. 169.254.x.x is the address your pc assigns itself when it requests an address from a DHCP server but isn't given one. So, the problem appears to be with your router as it is not giving out addresses.

If you are sure you have connectivity between your router and you pc (i.e. the cable is good) then reboot. Double check DHCP is enabled.

If you still have this problem you may have buggy firmware. Update to the latest version on the Linksys website.

If you still have the problem then you should try resetting the router to default and re-entering the necessary settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.