Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Laptop kicks EVERYTHING offline

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Laptop kicks EVERYTHING offline within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, In my household we have lots of things that connect to the router (2 desktops, 2 laptops, a PS3,

Old 10-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

In my household we have lots of things that connect to the router (2 desktops, 2 laptops, a PS3, iPod and Nintendo 3DS systems). My laptop I only use once in a while. It runs windows 7. Its a Sony Vaio F series, i7 processor, 64bit and its a little over a year old. I never had connectiveity problems in the past. We have a linksys wireless G router WRT56G v8.

Last week I went to boot it up after a few weeks, and notice that the PS3 got kicked offline. I went to both desktops, they were kicked offline too (the connection completely disappeared from the connection list). My laptop was the only thing online. After a few minutes, the router was no longer showing up on my laptops connections either, and in order for the other computer to come back, I had to either turn the wireless off on my laptop, OR sometime I have to do that AND reset the router.

Its like my laptop hijacks my router for itself, and then kills the connection. Only once did the laptop hog the internet and NOT do something to the router, and when I turned the wireless switch OFF all the other computers connected within a minute.

Its very frustrating, because nothing has changed. Ive run virus/spyware scans to see if thats an issue but nothing. Nothing new has been added to our network. I dont see there being a conflict with the IP address because it kicks of EVERYTHING not just one device.

Any help is appreciated, and if you need more info from me let me know what you need and I'll get it to you! I'd really like to get this fixed :(

Edit: Should probably add, all teh connections are wireless, we have no hardwired connections. My internet is roadrunner standard, so it runs decently well. Both desktops are windows 7, and the other laptop is used VERY rarely (Windows XP alienware).

Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

bump... please help! D:

Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

OS: Windows XP - Windows 7 - Windows Server 2003 / 2008 - Windows SBS 2003 / 2008 / 2011

Hello,

Is the router deffo a 56G and not a 54G??

If it is a 54G, update the firmware to the latest version if you havent already done so.

Try connecting the laptop first and then the other devices to see if it is a problem with just the laptop connecting or if its a problem with the amount of devices attached to the router.

Dave

Dave Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Atkin View Post
Hello,

Is the router deffo a 56G and not a 54G??

If it is a 54G, update the firmware to the latest version if you havent already done so.

Try connecting the laptop first and then the other devices to see if it is a problem with just the laptop connecting or if its a problem with the amount of devices attached to the router.

Dave
Yes, that was just a typo on my part, it is 54G.

Thank you so much. I ended up updating the firmware (Linksys has one of the best tutorials I've ever seen on doing something like this!) and resetting the router, and now everything is fine :D Laptop, 2 desktops and PS3 are all connected and doing well. Glad this is finally fixed.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Excellent outcome, thanks for letting us know allastorm.
Great job Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allastorm View Post
Yes, that was just a typo on my part, it is 54G.

Thank you so much. I ended up updating the firmware (Linksys has one of the best tutorials I've ever seen on doing something like this!) and resetting the router, and now everything is fine :D Laptop, 2 desktops and PS3 are all connected and doing well. Glad this is finally fixed.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote