Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] If I connect my USB memory stick to my router...?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] If I connect my USB memory stick to my router...? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here's what I want to do. If I was to store all my music on a USB flash drive, and

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

Here's what I want to do.

If I was to store all my music on a USB flash drive, and then connected that to the USB port on my router (BT Home Hub 2.0) would that allow other wireless devices to access the music?

I'm thinking about purchasing an Internet radio such as the Logitech Squeezebox:

Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Internet Radio with WiFi: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and so I need to know if the two devices would communicate with each other.

I like the idea of having access to worldwide radio as well as my own music collection via the router. (I don't want my PC on to stream the files, so hence using a USB connected directly to the router)

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

it should, but you will just need to set it up as a network storage device. Any device on the network will be able to access it as a NAS, Provided that is what the USB is there for. Sometimes there are devices with USB ports for Firmware upgrades. But if your Router supports Network accessible storage then yes.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure if my router will accept it as a network attached device, I'll have to connect it and see.
If not, can you recommend me a router that would be suitable?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I have looked up your unit and can't find anything in particular about NAS supported or not. It looks like it should.. but if not Linksys/Cisco makes a couple you can use.. and Netgear has it built into several of theirs. The only problem I can foresee is it looks like this is not just a router but a DSL modem as well.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi,

So last night I connected by USB stick to the port on the router, and after enabling file sharing in the control panel and mapping a new network drive, I was able to access the files on the drive. (Access was quite slow though)

I was pleased, I also have another laptop running XP but I couldn't seem to get into the correct network path on that one.

At least I got it to work on my vista laptop. Getting back to my original idea of purchasing a WI-fi enabled internet radio, I'm tempted to get one now (could be a birthday present for me in a couple of months) and see how I get on.

I reckon that if my laptop can access the files directly from the router then a wifi radio should be able to do the same thing.

It's a little bit of an expensive way to find out (£113.00 from amazon uk) but their returns policy is excellent so if it don't work as I want I could always send it back.

Thanks for your help nbjeter3.

Regards,
Nick
Old 01-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

anytime!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

I also connected by 8 gig USB stick (must be fat 32 format acording to BT) on the port of the BT suplied home hub 2 router, and after enabling file sharing in the control panel and mapping a new network drive, I was able to access the files on the drive. (Access was also quite slow)

I was also pleased, I also have another laptop running XP and I did get the correct network path on that one so it works now.