Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Hard wired from Router - no internet connection

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Hard wired from Router - no internet connection within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been fighting a probablly simple problem. I an connecting a compaq desk top using a hard wire to

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

I have been fighting a probablly simple problem. I an connecting a compaq desk top using a hard wire to a router ( the computer that the router is hooked up is able to access the internet). I have run a hard line from one of the routers ports to the compaq. The computer seems to detect the LAN connection when I do the diag/repair connection, but I am unable to connect to the the Internet. I took the computer to another hook up area(different router), plugged it in the different router port and instant internet access.? Any Ideas

Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

can we see an ipconfig /all from the working PC on the router that does not appear to work
and then again from the faulty pc connected to the same router

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Grin

Problem solved- I switched the router cable. I went to the computer that was accessing the internet and used that cable on the application that was not working, and presto a internet connection. Looks like a new cable is in order. Thanks for your help.