Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Good internet speed, bad download speed

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Good internet speed, bad download speed within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everybody, We may have to move this thread around so forgive me if it's in the wrong place. I'm

Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everybody,

We may have to move this thread around so forgive me if it's in the wrong place. I'm on a wireless modem provided by Centurylink, I believe it's a PK5000 somethin' or other. I can get you that info later if it's necessary. Anyway, up until about a couple weeks ago everything was fine, but lately youtube or any flash video site doesn't load according to the speed I'm supposed to have (1.5Mbps) and even downloading reletively small audio files (Last one was 64mb) can take up to an hour.

I know you guys aren't dentists and probably prefer not to pull teeth here...but I'm not even sure where to go from there. There are several (5-6)devices that connect to the modem, but even when one of my computers is the only one on it still lags in the DL department. Even still, I've been looking into bandwidth control with this modem via the QOS option in the modem control panel but I guess I don't have that option. I have QOS but for some reason options that work for other modems don't work on mine. I know that should've been a given but I've become desperate here...

But since my computer is the only one on, I don't think it has anything to do with anyone else hogging bandwidth. I called my ISP and they swear they aren't throttling me. We don't have any computer hooked up via ethernet cable and haven't for a long time, but this problem only started recently.

So I'm at a loss. Please help me because this is driving me insane.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

And basically, a 10 minute flash video takes about 20 minutes to download...if I'm lucky.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Been running internet speed tests. Results are interesting.

With centurylink's, which I figured could be shady since it's in it's best interest to tell me what I want to hear, is actually providing worse results than bandwidthplace much of the time. Last results there 791Kbps down and 716Kbps up.

First result looked like it was soaring past 1.56Mbps...and then the result posted is 0.66Mbps down. Which I would GLADLY take over the .20Kbps downloads I'm actually getting. It's even slower right now...at .10Kbps.

Second test was the same thing, soaring past 1.56Mbps...only to settle at 0.56Mbps. Uploads are not effected at all. I can upload until my heart's content which is actually a really good thing since it's necessary for my work.

Still, this is driving me nuts. I know it all sounds so trivial but I've literally traded in cable for my internet connection. I don't DL torrents or anything but I do watch a lot of online video. I really doubt that even with all the other people hooking into my connection that we've gone over a 150GB limit...but could we have and they're just not telling me about it?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

Tried changing the channel from 11 to 6....no good. It also says 1 is a good channel to change it to but...

I'm really looking forward to some input here. I'd really appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Xeneth

since your wireless, Likely interference.

Follow this and post back.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks so much, I'll get back to you. Unfortunately it might be later because I have to go to work in a couple hours.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
US Providers - Comcast, Charter, AT&T, Verizon, etc...
UK Providers - BT, talktalk, Virgin Media, etc...
Century Link (qwest)

Quote:
What type of broadband are you using?
Dial-up, DSL, Cable, Satellite, Fios or T1
DSL (1.5 Mbps)

Quote:
What is the exact Make and Model of your Modem, Router or Modem/Router combo - Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, TP-LINK, etc.
Zyxel pk5000z, provided by Century Link/Qwest

Quote:
What is the Name of the Anti-Virus, Security or Firewall Software installed from the problematic computer - McAfee, Norton, Eset, Webroot, Zone Alarm, etc.
Computers, plural.

Both use Avast and the Windows Firewall (alg.exe)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	network.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	110612  
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig.txt (1.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

It just keeps getting slower and slower....
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

I'm thankful for forums like these and I truly appreciate the people here who help out, and I hope I don't seem impatient or worse, being completely out of line for saying this but...why is no one replying? If I'm on my own on this one, I'd like to know. Or if this is simply in the wrong place or even if it's just because it's a lower priority than the other problems posted in this subform, someone just dropping in to let me know would really help.

I'll check back in tonight and if there's still nothing, then I guess I'll just figure you're all at as much of a loss for this problem as I am.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

You have a strong signal and the only other WAP in range is on ch 1 . . you could change yours to 9 or higher.

A USB wireless adaptor can be slower than a PCI adaptor. Is this a desktop PC? How high is the adaptor and is there anything between it and the modem? ( e.g. mirrors . . appliances . . microwave? brick walls?

Is it possible to connect a pc with an ethernet cable and run the speed tests.

Did the ISP run a line quality test?
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Also, for the speedtests, try dsl reports . . Speed Test : upload and download | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

run it on several sites
Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

If nothing has changed in your setup then a good place to start is with your phone.

Are there any crackling or hissing noises on it ?

Have you tried different microfilters if you use them ?

Is the router plugged into the master socket (which it should be) and not an extension ?

If plugged into the master socket, if it has a faceplate you can remove, then plug just the router with a microfilter into the test socket that is behind that and check for any improvement.

Are you able to borrow another router to try ?

Speedtests should be done both wired and wireless together at different times of the day to eliminate peak usage and local interference with any difference in speeds being noted.

Also try changing channels (which should be at least three away from anyone else) as Old Rich has suggested which should counter any local interference issues as well as asking your ISP to do a line test.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
You have a strong signal and the only other WAP in range is on ch 1 . . you could change yours to 9 or higher.
I plan on changing it back to channel 11, which it was on before when this all started.

Quote:
A USB wireless adaptor can be slower than a PCI adaptor. Is this a desktop PC? How high is the adaptor and is there anything between it and the modem? ( e.g. mirrors . . appliances . . microwave? brick walls?
I have 2 PCs this is occurring on, one a desktop and the other a laptop. The adapters are 3-3 1/2 feet off the ground and the modem is higher, probably at about 4 - 4 1/2 feet. There is a mirror and a wall but the mirror is not facing it, rather it's looking outward with the modem. It's always been like that though and the download problems started just recently. I'm going to try and move it anyway.

Quote:
Is it possible to connect a pc with an ethernet cable and run the speed tests.
That's tricky...this modem is in another room and to do so I'd have to run a wire through the wall. I'm pretty sure I have an old ethernet cable but I'm going to have to tear this place apart to find it.

Quote:
Did the ISP run a line quality test?
Not sure, but they said from their end everything is fine, I wasn't being throttled and that I should be getting the target speed which is 1.2Mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Also, for the speedtests, try dsl reports . . Speed Test : upload and download | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

run it on several sites
I have. All sites give different results and sometimes it's fast but still the download/flash video lags. I could get 1.2Mbps and yet when I go to download something it only give me 10-30Kbps.

This one was especially slow.

bandwidthplace.com is giving me:
424Kbps down
700 up

Qwest/Centurylink:
0.56Mbps down
068Mbps up

On channel 11-
DSLreports:
178 kb/s down
625 Kb/s up

Bandwidthplace:
544 Kbps down
729 Kbps up

Qwest/Centurylink
0.84 Mbps down
0.71 Mbps up

Given that everyone uses a different system to guage speed this is just more confusing to me...kigobits vs. kigobytes etc. I work in Pharmacy and I understand grams/miligrams/micrograms vs grains and all that but computer jargon is extremely confusing to me. The one I understand the best is qwest's and if that were the actual DL speed I were getting I'd be happy even though it's not what I pay for.

Actual download speed I'm getting when trying to download an 84 MB file is 25-35KB/s which takes about 45 minutes. No change there between the channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
If nothing has changed in your setup then a good place to start is with your phone.
There is one cell phone in the house and it isn't mine. It does charge in the same room as the modem but it always has.

Quote:
Are there any crackling or hissing noises on it ?
Not that I'm aware of but I rarely use it.

Quote:
Have you tried different microfilters if you use them ?
I have no idea what that is.

Quote:
Is the router plugged into the master socket (which it should be) and not an extension ?
I think it's plugged directly into the wall but even if it weren't...why did this just start happening? It is by a window, is it possible there''s some new outside interference?

Quote:
If plugged into the master socket, if it has a faceplate you can remove, then plug just the router with a microfilter into the test socket that is behind that and check for any improvement.
I'm going to have to google all that, see if it's possible and then get back to you.

Quote:
Are you able to borrow another router to try ?
No.

Quote:
Speedtests should be done both wired and wireless together at different times of the day to eliminate peak usage and local interference with any difference in speeds being noted.
OK, I'm going to have to move heaven and Earth to find an ethernet wire. We have a lot of crap. We haven't done any spring cleaning since about 2006. So there's a garage full plus my hideous closet. If I can't find it, I'll have to buy another one and looking at prices online that might have to wait till payday.

Quote:
Also try changing channels (which should be at least three away from anyone else) as Old Rich has suggested which should counter any local interference issues as well as asking your ISP to do a line test.
On qwest's troubleshooting guide they said the channels 1, 6, and 11 are best. But earlier it was said that 9 and up could work...shall I just flip channels to 9 and 10 and see if it gets any better?

Again, thanks for the attention and forgive my impatience as this is proving to be be extremely complicated to deal with. There's so many outside factors. We may have to keep this thread open for weeks. Tonight or tomorrow, depending on my roommates schedule and desire to help out, I'm going to try moving the modem/router to a different location in the room. I'll also try and find an ethernet cable...but I'd still appreciate a reply to this post to let me know if I've missed anything, to give another suggestion or whatever you feel is necessary.

Thanks again and I'll get back to you either way.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

I would go ba k to the ISP and have them run a line quality check . . You have a strong signal, but that does not preclude interference from somewhere.

Without having a wired connection to compare speeds to makes it hard to nail down what is going on
Old 06-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

The channels to avoid are 1 & 2 if you ever use cordless phones, as those are around the channels they work on and phone bases should never be sited near routers.

Channel 9 is also another one to avoid as it's about the equivalent that a microwave oven works on.

I've never had any problems running on channel 4, but it depends on who else is around you.

Unless you have an ADSL faceplate fitted to the wall socket (one that has separate sockets for phone and broadband) then you will need a microfilter to plug into the wall socket which you would then plug your router into, so it can split the broadband signal from the phone, but as this is just a recent issue, then you must one or the other.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
Management Team Networking

channels 1, 6 and 11 are the preferred since they don't overlap with the others.

Google Image Result for http://www.tech-juice.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_802.11bg_WLAN1.png
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
Unless you have an ADSL faceplate fitted to the wall socket (one that has separate sockets for phone and broadband) then you will need a microfilter to plug into the wall socket which you would then plug your router into, so it can split the broadband signal from the phone, but as this is just a recent issue, then you must one or the other.
Yeah, we don't have that type of phone. There's one cell phone and that's it. And there's been no change around here, this just started happening out of the blue.

Ok, this is getting worse by the day, now even the net itself is slow and qwest's speedtests are giving me .40Mbps. Good news is that I found my ethernet cable. Before I plug her in, is there anything I have to do? If I remember correctly you don't just plug it in and get internet. Can someone walk me through the steps? And shall I unplug my wireless card completely or is just disabling it good enough?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

You can just turn of ff the wireless . . all you should have to do is connect the ethernet cable.

Have you had the IPS do a line quality test?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Registered Member

No, not yet. I'm going to turn off the wireless now and try to get a connection. Be back in a few.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
Registered Member

OK, ethernet's hooked up and I'm getting 0.56Mbps down on their speedtest.

And I think I should have mentioned this first hand, in case you don't know how qwest/centurylink works. They give you a modem that looks like a wireless router...but it's a modem, and a router, or whatever. Anyway I guess that receives a signal from somewhere else and that's how their internet works.

Should I still inquire about a line quality test or does that even apply to me?

EDIT: 0.68 Mbps down now...

Should I try restarting the modem? Think that would work?