Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Failed Ping Test in Win 7

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Failed Ping Test in Win 7 within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My Dell Inspiron Win 7 equipped computer cannot connect to the Internet. I have a DSL router that I

Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Boesens
Mistake

Hi,
My Dell Inspiron Win 7 equipped computer cannot connect to the Internet. I have a DSL router that I can wirelessly connect to, but it says no Internet access. I used the manual Intel Wireless Manual Diagnostic Tools to test my system and failed the ping test. Dialog box says "no response, default gateway,DHCP server" and indicates the ping test failed.
I have checked my router and it is working nominally; other laptops in my family have Internet access just fine. My Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030 adapter is working fine. I detect no other hardware problems on my laptop.
Request any help you can give me; this one has me stumped. Thanks very much.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Welcome to TSF!

Please see the pre-posting requirements, the information will help us to assist you.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

I am having almost the exact same problem only mine is on a Dell Inspiron One all-in-one touch screen and not a laptop. Internet had been working fine up until a couple days ago. My system does Windows updates automatically, could that be part of the problem? I have an iPad, 2 iPhones and a PC all able to access the internet off this router.

Read your pre-posting requirements and hopefully I've got everything here. Let me know. Would appreciate any help you can give me and thanks for even taking a look.

*See attached for ipconfig and Xirrus files
ISP: Knology
Broadband: DSL
Modem/Router: Motorola SURFboard SBG6580
Antivrus/Security/Firewall: McAfee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xirrus.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	114959  
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig.txt (5.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Networking Team |Tech

Likely McAfee is the issue, possibly on both... their latest patch broke internet for everyone... see this forum sticky for details on how to fix.

P.S. Welcome also to TSF!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you! Went to the forum sticky and followed it step by step. Works like a charm now! Greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Grin

Thanks for the help and support! Uninstalling McAffee worked.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Moderator - Networking

if you decide not to put Mcafee back on the PC or not to subscribe to the service
--------------------------------------------------------------
i'm not an expert here - but if you look through the security forum, you will see a lot of recommendations for windows 7

The windows 7 firewall is considered adequate and especially if you are connected behind a router.
Have a read in our "general security" forum and look for the advice from our security gurus.

Several excellent free antivirus programs are available (But you should only ever have 1 on the PC at a time otherwise this can cause issues ).

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) {Note: does not work with windows XP}
Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

Avast
avast! Free Antivirus | Download Antivirus Protection Software

AntiVir
|MG| Avira Free Antivirus 2012 12.0.0.1167 Download

EST Nod 32 also gets a lot of very good reviews although it is not free
ESET NOD32
Award-Winning Anti Virus, Antispyware and Antispam | ESET

these Two programs are also recommended to be on the PC and can be on with any of the above antivirus programs.

Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer

superantispyware
SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloads

--------------------------------------------------------------

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback; I'll take a look at these options. This is a great site to get tech support. I appreciate it.