Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Computer stopped connecting to internet

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Computer stopped connecting to internet within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Sony Vaio computer running Windows XP Media Center at home and just in the last day I

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Sony Vaio computer running Windows XP Media Center at home and just in the last day I noticed that I could no longer connect to the internet.

It is connected to a router with a network cable, so I'm not using a wireless connection. I even used the same cable to connect to my wife's laptop and it worked fine, so I don't think it's an issue with the router or the cable.

I get nothing when I run ipconfig /all, just this..
Windows IP Configuration

When I try to repair my I394 Connection, I get the following error message: "TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed"

I've tried to reset the winsock and tcp/ip connection using the command prompt and the commands that others have listed along with a reboot, but still have the same issue.

Can you please help me?

Old 09-19-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to animesh_joshi

The way you describe your problem, i think your computer does not have an IP address only. Your computer is not getting an IP address that's why the router cannot forward its packets, make sure you have the correct dhcp server address in the connection properties of your LAN port. I think you'll have to enable TCP/IP for I394.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 09-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hey animesh_joshi,
I'm not sure how to "make sure you have the correct dhcp server address in the connection properties of your LAN port. I think you'll have to enable TCP/IP for I394".

Can you provide some details on how exactly I need to verify that the correct dhcp server address is setup and how I exactly I need to enable TCP/IP for I394?

johnwill,
As I mentioned in my original post, I have already tried to run ipconfig /all from the command prompt.

The only line that comes up is:

Windows IP Configuration

That is all, there is no other information about my IP address or anything else.

Thanks,
Gauranga
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to animesh_joshi

just call up your isp and take down the dhcp server IP address and enter that address in the connection properties.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

hey animesh,

I don't have an ISP, the building that I live in has all of the apartments wired with T1 lines that they let the residents use for free. I also am not sure that this is the problem. I can connect my wife's macintosh and my friend's IBM laptop to the same cable that is going into my sony vaio and it works fine.

I did go into the device manager and notice that there was a network adapter that had an exclamation mark. The name was "Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection #2"

I clicked on this and there was a message saying, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I went online to the link below and downloaded and installed the latest driver for this and then rebooted the computer, but I'm still getting the same error message for this network adapter.

Link for intel driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...=4275&lang=eng

Is this a hardware issue? Is there something else I can try?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

One more thing...when I click 'Repair' on the I394 Connection, I get the following error message:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problems because the following action cannot be completed:
Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed.

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network"
Old 09-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Microsoft MVP

My System

Since you get nothing for the IPCONFIG command, that indicates your Ethernet hardware is not recognized. You need to fix that first.

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc

What appears under Network adapters?

Are there any devices anywhere in the display with yellow ? or ! indicating an error?

Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

hey johnwill,

I did check the device manager and found a network adapter that seemed to be having a problem.

I listed this in my earlier post and again below for your reference. Please take a look and see if there is something else I can do for this.

Description from previous post .................................................
I went into the device manager and noticed that there was a network adapter that had an exclamation mark. The name was "Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection #2"

I clicked on this and there was a message saying, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I went online to the link below and downloaded and installed the latest driver for this and then rebooted the computer, but I'm still getting the same error message for this network adapter.

Link for intel driver:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...=4275&lang=eng

Is this a hardware issue? Is there something else I can try?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
Microsoft MVP

My System

Start by viewing hidden devices, then uninstalling all of the instances of that adapter and rebooting. Then install the drivers again.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
Registered Member

Alright so I know this sounds wierd, but I swear it's happening. I've tried now 4 different times with the same results.

When I open up the device manager and view the hidden devices, an additional Intel device showed up. So now there were two of them:

1) Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
2) Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection #2

The second one is the one which has the ! on the icon. This is the one that I uninstalled first and it then disappeared from the device manager list. I then tried to uninstall the first one and got the following error:

"Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer."

So I decided to leave this one alone and went ahead and rebooted the computer after only uninstalling the second adapter. Once the computer was back up, I went back into device manager to see if I could maybe uninstall the first adapter now. Well when i opened it up, I noticed that both adapters were listed in there and the second one had the same ! mark that it did before. It was like I never uninstalled it.

I repeated this exercise 4 different times with the same result. Am I doing something wrong or just really really dense?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Microsoft MVP

My System

No, the only way I've been able to fix these in those cases is manually removing them from the registry.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
Registered Member

do you know the best way to do this? should i just open up the registry and do a search for 'Intel(R) PRO/1000...'? and then delete anything i find?

this makes me a little nervous, but i'm willing to try anything at this point.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Microsoft MVP

My System

Well, I don't have a "canned" response to manually removing hardware from the registry, since it appears all over, and every case ends up being somewhat unique. If you do try removing it manually, I'd suggest a complete system backup before you start.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks, it looks like this solved the problem.

I removed everything (the adapter, entries from the registry, and the driver files) and then rebooted the computer.

I then re-installed the driver which caused the network adapter to be found and installed by the 'add hardware manager'.

Then when I opened up the device manager, the adapter was listed without a ! and I was able to connect to the internet.

Thanks for the help, I don't know why this was so difficult, but I appreciate your patience in walking me through it.

-Gauranga
Old 09-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #16
Microsoft MVP

My System

Glad you got it. I'm sorry I'm reluctant to describe the registry editing process, but I managed to really nuke a couple of people trying to "help" them. I never knew if it was failure to follow the instructions or me making a mistake. I've since decided that complicated registry edits are best done in person, and not by remote control.

Closed Thread