Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] Another "Dead Network" IPSEC problem

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Another "Dead Network" IPSEC problem within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am loathe to ask another "how do i fix a dead network error" question here, as this has been

Old 12-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am loathe to ask another "how do i fix a dead network error" question here, as this has been asked many times. However, I have reviewed the existing articles in this forum, followed most of the steps I've seen (the ones that apply to my machine), and have not been able to solve my issue. I'm hopeful someone has more experience than me in dealing with this at the SERVICES level of the OS, which is where I think this problem lies.

My PC was recently infected with Sircam, apparently someone thought it cute to come up with a mod that would make it past the heuristic logic for it in McAfee. Once I found and removed it with SuperAntiSpyware and a tool from this forum, I have had the steady dancing network icon 'acquiring network address' since. The Network drivers are all showing good, and I can force the issue by assigning IP addresses and Gateways manually, but the IPSEC service will not start with the Dead Network Error 10050, and I have no control of the RPC: the Services options are disabled. When I perform IPCONFIG /ALL I get a Connection with no DNS, and what appears to be no DHCP. I have performed the following tasks in the following order to try and remediate it:

1. Uninstall and reinstall the Network device driver - performed successfully using multiple versions, no change in status
2. Utilize the Winsock repair tool in SuperAntiSpyware - performed successfully, no change in status
3. Applied hard-coded IP addresses, Gateways, and DNS addresses - performed successfully, can ping the LAN and Internet IP addresses, but no name resolution, no DHCP, no NETBios, etc.
4. Ran the SFC clean up command - no change in status
5. Ran netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt, netsh winsock reset catalog, and ipconfig /flushdns - no change in status
6. Ran the Recovery option from the Windows Media Edition CDs I built the PC with (SP 2) - recovered successfully, no change in status
7. Ran the Windows SP 3 install - will not run successfully, locks up at the "starting new processes" step, will successfully uninstall, and back to what is now normal
8. Have opened SERVICES and tried to align all the Log On methods and verify all services are running. Here's where it gets interesting:
- RPC is running, but ALL features and buttons are greyed out - I have no control ability
- IPSEC will not start, Dead Network
- Other services will not start, no IPSEC

At this point, I have to leave the country on business for two weeks, so it will be mid-December before I can revisit this, but I'm trying to figure out what I might have missed, or what I might try next, short of Format C:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, even if they simply validate that Format C: is all that I have left.

Thanks. David Haney

=======
IPCONFIG / ALL

C:\Documents and Settings\David Haney>IPCONFig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : david-am2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-5C-2E-A0
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
C:\Documents and Settings\David Haney>IPCONFIG /renew
Windows IP Configuration
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 7 : The RPC server is unavailable.

C:\Documents and Settings\David Haney>
==================

Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
Default Gateway . :
Your Default Gateway is your Router. This shows that there is no Default Gateway (Router) that is broadcasting to this computer. Unplug the power plug to the Modem and the Router. Plug the power into just the Modem (unless you have a modem/router combo) When all the lights come up, plug in the power to the Router (unless combo of course)
Now Go to Start/Run and type inetcpl.cpl and press enter/Connections/LAN Settings. Make sure all the boxes are unchecked. Now go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)/Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address and DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Now go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. IN the Command Prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter. the IP Address changes to 0.0.0.0 Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew. Now type ipconfig /all. You should have a new IP address try it again. If you still cannot connect please include the text output of your ipconfig /all in your next post

spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for the feedback Spunk Funk, and I have executed each task as indicated in the order indicated. Unfortunately, it has had no effect on the situation. Below is copied the IPCONFIG dump run at the end of the sequence in it's entirety, including the RPC error received when attempting to /renew the IPs.
=======
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\David Haney>ipconfig /release
Windows IP Configuration
IP Address for adapter Local Area Connection 7 has already been released.
C:\Documents and Settings\David Haney>ipconfig /flushdns
Windows IP Configuration
Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
C:\Documents and Settings\David Haney>ipconfig /renew
Windows IP Configuration
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 7 : The RPC server is unavailable.

C:\Documents and Settings\David Haney>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : david-am2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-5C-2E-A0
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
C:\Documents and Settings\David Haney>
=========

What should I try next?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There still is no Default Gateway (your Router) and it says the RPC service is unavailable. Go to Start/Run and type services.msc and press enter. In Services, scroll down to Remote Proceedure Call double click it and make sure the Startup type is Automatic, and the service is Started. Follow the other suggestions in the link above.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Spunk.Funk, thanks for the suggestions, but the tasks you are requesting me to do I have done some time ago. As you can see from my 8 step analysis in my initial post above, I have already gone to Services, and I have no control over the RPC server. It is started automatically, but all the controls are greyed out: I cannot stop and restart it. The IPSEC Service is not started, and when I try to start it, I get the 10050: Dead Network error. I am sending this post from a computer on the same gateway as the dead PC, so the gateway is not the problem. I can even configure the dead PC with hard-coded IPaddresses and Gateway, and it will ping the LAN, but no DNS, thus no ability to use the internet nor email nor anything else requiring Name Resolution.

Any other possibilities?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In Services make sure the DCOM service is Started. Then try this: DNS Server Fails to Start Due to Unavailable RPC Server Error
Old 12-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Management Team Networking

Dhaney I have moved your post to the networking forum since this is a networking issue.

Since you don't mention being on a ipsec network you don't need ipsec running so that is not an issue.

You have been very through in your troubleshooting.

I would have suggested seeing if you had a restore point available before the corruption but I suspect that is too late.

The only thought I have is to do a repair install [not format c:] which will preserve your data/apps.

But wait for others here to respond. They may have other ideas.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

For those who respond, and those who read this to learn: thanks for the feedback! It helped greatly. While it looks like I tried everything that was suggested (and yes, I tried a restore point as well but that was unsuccessful), I believe I have gotten lucky and stumbled onto the problem!

Apparently an app - either the Windows Update, SuperAntiSpyware, McAfee AV, or something else (malware/spyware/etc), attempted to replace my AFD file in the System32/Drivers folder. The file was missing from the system32/drivers folder where it should have been.

My repeated attempts to search through the SERVICES was generating the error info in the long string above, but never pointed at this culprit. After stepping away for a business trip to India, upon my return it suddenly occurred to me that in all the effort I had NEVER opened the Event Log and searched through the events. Once I did, there was an INFO entry that said that AFD could not load because "the file was not found". I searched my downloaded KBs on the dead-network PC and found a KB update from Microsoft for the most recent AFD file, replaced it, and whala - I'm updating this article from the previously dead-networked PC.

I'm still curious as to how this occurred, and have my scanners now working OT to make sure something funky hasn't been introduced in the system, but I thought I'd document the AFD solution here and resolve out the thread. I hope someone gets some benefit from this.

Thanks all who pitched in with ideas.

David Haney
Old 12-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Management Team Networking

Thanks for the update dhaney

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote