Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

[SOLVED] acer laptop is connected to network but no internet access

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] acer laptop is connected to network but no internet access within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. about a few weeks ago, my internet on my acer laptop stopped working. it says i am connected to the

Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

about a few weeks ago, my internet on my acer laptop stopped working. it says i am connected to the network, yet there is no internet access. if anyone can help me it would be great. thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

it may be a firewall blocking - what firewall / security suite do you have on the PC or ever had in the past, perhaps a trail version of Norton, mcafee etc

lets see an ipconfig /all - see below

how are you connected wireless / cable to the modem/router
do you have other pcs in the house and if so are they working

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

i removed mcafee from my laptop and my internet now works!! thank you for your support :) i really appreciate it
Old 11-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
Moderator - Networking

did you use the removal tool - have a read below - often these security suites are not completely removed and need to have the removal tool run, otherwise sometime in the future it can cause a problem again and block access
we have seen that happen here very often

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mcafee RemovalTool
How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote