Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Smart TV won't connect to nework

This is a discussion on Smart TV won't connect to nework within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I've just bought a new Samsung Smart TV but I'm having some trouble connecting to the wireless network.

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Hey guys,

I've just bought a new Samsung Smart TV but I'm having some trouble connecting to the wireless network. I have my SSID hidden, so had to enter the SSID + password manually but the TV came up with a message saying it could not connect. I have repeated this multiple times and none have worked at all. I have also tried pushing that little button on the side of the router (can't remember what its called but it lets you connect automatically to the network within a certain time window), and when this happened the TV began connecting, the network SSID showed up, but then a few seconds later it failed.

I know the connection is fine as if I hold another wireless device (laptop, phone, iPod) where the TV is sitting they can connect and use the internet just fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

Idea

What particular Samsung TV and router?

I have the same problem here -- Samsung UN46ES6100 Smart TV will not connect to CradlePoint MBR1400 wifi router with hidden SSID. The Samsung Customer Service Tier 2 supervisor insists that my "ISP or router" are at fault despite the fact that numerous other devices from various vendors all connect to the router without issue. Even better is the fact that the call center does not have the UN46ES6100 for troubleshooting so they used a "higher end" model in an attempt to reproduce the issue. Their TV successfully connected to an unknown router (she insisted that the vendor and model of their router was proprietary!) with the SSID hidden. The rep could not even verify whether their TV had the same WiFi NIC and driver installed!

If I unhide the SSID (not the only router security that is enabled), the TV connects as soon as I enter the WPA2 key. Once connected, the TV drops the connection as soon as I hide the SSID in the router, and the TV reconnects again after the SSID is again broadcast. Samsung closed the ticket since there are no reports of this issue on this particular brand new model -- there are dozens of reports of the same issue with previous Samsung TVs.

At this time, it appears that this is a Samsung issue which they are unwilling to address.

As a temporary work-around, I have configured the router with a second network with a distinct broadcast SSID (the router supports up to four) with a netmask of 255.255.255.252 (network, router, TV, and broadcast only), allowing only the TV to connect using a static IP address.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

Idea

I went through quite a run-around with this until I finally reached the "right" product engineer (including one "supervisor" who insisted that "I needed to contact my ISP or router vendor since the TV worked!"). I verified that it was not only the CradlePoint router, but also others (including a Cisco that I have).

This has since been resolved with a firmware update (from v1003 to v1009.3) -- it covers several models of Smart TVs, so you may wish to check. The firmware SHOULD auto update via the network (if you are connected) -- otherwise, you can download to a USB thumbdrive for manual installation from the SamsungUSA.com website.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi

Having same issues with my router & Samsung UE40ES5500K Smart TV.Bought the Samsung Dongle,went through the set up process including Network,recognised it,then connected to my Network,good strength etc.But when you go into Web Browser on the TV,it's trying to get a connection then says 'Not Connected'.Same router works fine with iPads x3, Laptops x2 & iPhone5 x1....the router is a Zoom ADSL X6,running Orange Home Broadband.Had problems with a Samsung phone & Acer Netbook doing the same in the past.Would love some help to overcome his issue.As yet,I have not gone down the Ethernet route.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

I just bought a samsung smart tv UA46ES8000, after 4 days wifi can not detect exchanged for a new one and 3 days to the same case

wifi module problem in samsung smart tv
Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

The tv's wireless adapter IMO does not support non broadcasting SSID's that is why it is unable to connect.

The subnet mask looks wrong as routers with private addresses usually have 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask.

I would set the tv back to DHCP and DNS server to be obtained automatically using the original SSID but have it broadcasting do not hide it.

Kidder1 and ironegood you are asking for help in an existing thread which is not allowed we are helping the OP even if tho your issues may be the same.

Please review the rules here

Please take the time to read and understand all the rules.

Please create a seperate thread for each of you and we will be glad to try and help you.

Thank you.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberMan View Post
The tv's wireless adapter IMO does not support non broadcasting SSID's that is why it is unable to connect.

The subnet mask looks wrong as routers with private addresses usually have 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask.

I would set the tv back to DHCP and DNS server to be obtained automatically using the original SSID but have it broadcasting do not hide it.

Kidder1 and ironegood you are asking for help in an existing thread which is not allowed we are helping the OP even if tho your issues may be the same.

Please review the rules here

Please take the time to read and understand all the rules.

Please create a seperate thread for each of you and we will be glad to try and help you.

Thank you.
HI I'm having the same issue. I'm really disappointed SAMSUNG is acting like they do not know they have an issue. My TV was working fine i was able to use amazon app in smart apps, etc then a few weeks ago, it just stopped working and will not recognize my WIFI at all. It's not my router or anything, it worked before and I have 6 other devices that connect to my wifi. Also I am upset that I've only had the TV 3 months. It would be nice if someone started a class action lawsuit because based on this, SAMSUNG seems to have known that the TV's have had this problem, but yet and still sold many of them on HSN, etc. Very unhappy now. I feel like i've been tricked. The TV was great when it did work....
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

sscolbert please read my post above and read the forum rules and please create your own thread on your issue as asking for help in an existing thread is not allowed
Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hi,
I could not initially connect my new Samsung model no UA50ES6200 by wireless to my modem although laptop could connect. TV connected straight away once I did the following: Start network settings; select default wireless; enter security key password; then select IP Settings and change "Enter Manually" to "Get Automatically" then click OK. The user manual indicates that IP Settings can be connected manually (which did not work for me) but does not say anything about selecting "Get Automatically".
Hope this helps anyone having this issue.

Regards
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Moderator - Networking

My System

Thanks for your input basil1good it may help others.

This thread is quite old now and will be closed.