Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Slow orange brightbox wireless speed?

This is a discussion on Slow orange brightbox wireless speed? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am in no way a networking expert but ive done my best, so now Id like to see if

Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

I am in no way a networking expert but ive done my best, so now Id like to see if anyone can help please - or do you think its a router hardware fault?

Having some problems with an orange brightbox. 2 different websites including Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test state I have a download speed of 6-7 mbs BUT when downloading on steam with nothing else running im seeing an average of 600 kbs. streaming videos also often stops for no reason and does not start again.

This cant be right. Ive changed loads of settings to try and fix it on the router. the wireless mode is on 11b+11g+11n, the channel is on 11, the bandwidth is 20/40Hz, the security is WPA and ive tried disabling the router firewall just to see if it did anything - it did not. Steam games still currently downloading at a nice 400 kbs. Its not my laptop because others do the same.

ive just made my IP static and then went to - cmd and typed configip to get my LAN IP

Then went back to router and went NAT>PORT FORWARDING and used tcp&udp on the LAN IP with LAN and PUBLIC ports set to 21.

Then I went port triggers and made the trigger port 21 and public port 21. I chose TCP for both types.

And after all this my transfer rate between the router and laptop has not gone up -.-

Anyone know why?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Your port forwarding would enable you to FTP to your laptop from the Internet. That's about it. The only real test would be to try another router, if you can. You also don't mention if you'd tried to test it using a network cable between your laptop and the router (wireless disabled).

Old 05-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Is orange fixed to their routers?

also I dont have an ethernet cable but could easily get one i suppose. Just my room and the router are very far apart.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

You can use any third party router with the orange broadband service, but the brightbox can handle fibre internet speeds which ornage(EE) supply.

At 6Mbps you can get speeds up to 768KB/s downloads but due to overheads you may not get that speed because of factors of going thru brightbox firewall inspection which may trim some KB off that speed and since you are wirelessly connected not wired it will slow down even more because wireless is considerably slower than a wired connection the brightbox has gigabit ethernet ports.

Also to consider the wireless adapter used and firewall inspection on the computer itself may be contributory factors as to why you only get 600KB/s.

Test using the wired connection when you get an ethernet cable and see if the download speed increases may not be to the 768KB/s but closer to it. Use cat5e which supports gigabit ethernet connections.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberMan View Post
You can use any third party router with the orange broadband service, but the brightbox can handle fibre internet speeds which ornage(EE) supply.

At 6Mbps you can get speeds up to 768KB/s downloads but due to overheads you may not get that speed because of factors of going thru brightbox firewall inspection which may trim some KB off that speed and since you are wirelessly connected not wired it will slow down even more because wireless is considerably slower than a wired connection the brightbox has gigabit ethernet ports.

Also to consider the wireless adapter used and firewall inspection on the computer itself may be contributory factors as to why you only get 600KB/s.

Test using the wired connection when you get an ethernet cable and see if the download speed increases may not be to the 768KB/s but closer to it. Use cat5e which supports gigabit ethernet connections.
Thank you for the reply its very useful. Why would having a 6Mb/s connection give me a 700KB/s download speed though? Or am i just doing the conversion wrong?
Old 05-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

A simple way to rememeber is 1 megabit=128Kilobytes per second.

You have a 6Megabit(Mbps) connection from your ISP servers or excahnge to your modem.

All you do is do a calculation 128x6=768 where six is your megabit connection from your ISP.

Have you tested with an ethernet cable yet?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberMan View Post
A simple way to rememeber is 1 megabit=128Kilobytes per second.

You have a 6Megabit(Mbps) connection from your ISP servers or excahnge to your modem.

All you do is do a calculation 128x6=768 where six is your megabit connection from your ISP.

Have you tested with an ethernet cable yet?
I hae the cat5 here but I wont be testing it tonight. Ive had he strangest problem.

2 days ago i upgraded the firmware on my samsung galaxy s2. For whatever reason when reconnecting to my hub it just looped the obtaining ip screen.

So I went to advanced options and statically set my ip, gateway and DNS. Now it works.

Then a day later my 2 laptops stopped working. Strange thing was my mums still worked for 2 hours after my two stopped.

It sad we were connected but had no internet access on an unknown network.

cmd/ipconfig/all showed no ip or default gateway and couldnt get on the hub using 192.168.1.1

soooo i went to network and sharing, change adapter settings, properties, ipv4 and set these statically to googles DNS, set the gateway to 192.168.1.1 and changed the ip to 192.168.1.122. Boom its working...

Orange said they are upgrading my network tonight so maybe thats it? but i cant see why my laptops would lose their gateway...
Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Moderator - Networking

My System

When they upgrade the network loss of connectivity can happen i was upgraded to fibre with EE and lost connectivity for 3 hours while they set it up.