Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Slow download speeds when connected to router

This is a discussion on Slow download speeds when connected to router within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am new to the forum. I have been searching for about 2 days now about this problem and

Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have been searching for about 2 days now about this problem and have tried almost everything I can think of to fix it but none seems to work... Okay so I have a ISP package for 55 Mbp/s Down and 3 Mbp/s Up but when connected to the router either lan or wireless I am speedtesting at about 15 Mbp/s. I have called the cable company, they had told me that my signal was fine blah blah, I insisted the guy come out and still look at it so he did and on that day it just decided to run at the advertised speeds. I am running a WNDR 3400 Netgear V1 Router. I have tried changing MTU Size.. everything I can think of..... PLEASSEE Tech Support help me, I am pulling my hair out over this.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

Quote:
they had told me that my signal was fine blah blah, I insisted the guy come out and still look at it so he did and on that day it just decided to run at the advertised speeds.
how long did this run OK for - and how was that tested on your PC ?

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi

Have you tried "Port Forwarding" yet, if not then try to set a rule for this option in your router

it should speed up your inbound connection

/*Peace*/
Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply guys. Okay so I have a bit of an update... I finally figured out that it was my second router that I have configured with dd-wrt BUT the router is setup as an wireless access point.... so their should be no conflict. The second router is a Linksys E3200 with DD-WRT firmware.. The other day I put DD-WRT on the primary router to see if the loss of speed would be resolved being on same firmware.. but no success... etaf- The modem and the primary router normal run fine but there are certain times when my download speed drops even with no traffic on the network. They ran a speed test from my home to my ISP's router? I am guessing I was watching and that's how it seemed or maybe a server with a file... Tech-wazir- I'm sorry what exactly do you mean port forward like what ports?

Sorry for a bit of bad english I am Dutch
Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Jfavors

Port Forwarding is an option in your router.

With this option you can set the priority of the ports for traffic
like you can forward more traffic to port 80 for HTTP

Bekijk deze website om de concept te begrijpen

- PortForward.com

In geval van twee routers zou dit optie goed van pas komen

Tech-wazir
Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Registered Member

Spreekt u Nederlands??

So I should be forwarding the ports on my second router (HTTP port 80) to the first router as well as any other Protocol that should have high bandwidth? Is that correct?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ja k spreek Nederlands

Yes you should try this method and it should speed up the traffic
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

So, you have two routers - WNDR 3400 Netgear and Linksys E3200 which is configured as a wireless access point.

Can I ask why you have two routers? The Netgear is a wireless access point out of the box.

I don't see why you would need to do port forwarding. HTTP traffic arrives on port 80 by default.

Clearly you are getting HTTP traffic and therefore do not need to forward any ports.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

I have tried forwarding the ports but I still get the traffic slowdown. :/

Reason I have two Routers is because my house is big and I have a home theater room that uses a UnPP player. But the wireless signal was too weak from the original router. So I ran RJ-45 to my theatre room and set up the AP. the netgear is the main modem the cisco is the AP. I also like to connect iPad an all kinds of other things so that's why I setup the wireless function or else I would of just ran a switch.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I don't think you need a second router, I think you need a range extender.

I think your second router is eating bandwidth. If you can turn it off and still get internet, try to see if you get improved speeds with just one router.

Keep in mind that in the real world you will rarely if ever get maximum advertised bandwidth.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have setup the second router with ddwrt. And are currently using it with the AP setting. I've configured everything to the T as what the DDWRT documentation says. I'm also running ddwrt on the main router aswell. I changed the main router to ddwrt hoping that it would resolve this issue but has not. I am just so stumped on this. I've called the cable company and the support guy had said that netgear routers tend to scramble packets.. I do not know if this is true.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Sounds like the correct configuration for the secondary router.

I have no idea if the comment about the Netgear is accurate. Are you able to switch the router positions?

In other words set the Cisco up as the main router and the Netgear as the AP. Could be an aging router. How old is the Netgear? Has the problem just begun recently? Does the Netgear keep logs and have you reviewed them? Maybe logs would give you a hint.

Since you're on cable you're sharing bandwidth with the nearby infrastructure (same physical infrastructure people use for their own cable internet and tv connections). Especially at peak times that will slow your bandwidth.

The advertised rate of speed is the bandwidth the technology is physically capable of achieving, but it will only do so in the best of all possible conditions. When they tell you that bandwidth they're trying to sell you a product, it might be functioning just fine, but the natural real-world conditions (instead of lab conditions) are resulting in lower than maximum bandwidth.

Gear in this thread