Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Slow connection to certain sites on home computer

This is a discussion on Slow connection to certain sites on home computer within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I try to go to certain websites on my home PC they take up to several minutes to load.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

When I try to go to certain websites on my home PC they take up to several minutes to load. It does not matter what browser I use.
When I visit the same sites from work (or any other place, literally) the sites load without delay of any kind.

Why is this happening? It only happens on my home PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

It could be some kind of malware but it could also just be a DNS issue with your service provider. How long has this been going on? Have you tried using an alternate DNS server?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi thetxscene - Welcome to TSF,

Please try the following recommendations:

Clear your Browser's Cache.

Reset your Browser to default settings.
Here's IE; Reset Firefox

Try and use a different Browser (Chrome, Firefox) if none of the above helps.

Please post an update.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

2xg- Thanks for your quick response. I have tried your suggestions in the past, and tried again just now and there is still no effect on the slow speed. I don't think it's a browser issue...

JMPC- Thanks for your quick response. I have not messed with my DNS server configurations. Is this a common problem? How would I go about using an alternate DNS server? I'm interested to see if that would make a difference.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Is the issue a wired or wireless connection? Have you tried both?

Pls. try connecting your computer directly to the Modem as well and see if you're able to replicate the issue.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote