Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Should I Leave My Router Switched On?

This is a discussion on Should I Leave My Router Switched On? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Netgear DG834G Modem/Router and I switch it off when I am not using the internet.

I was browsing the web yesterday and I saw an article on the BT website which included the following:

“Important note about speed tests
Every time you switch off or re-connect your router or modem, your broadband service refreshes your connection speed. Note, however, that where this has increased, your throughput speed will not increase for a further 3 days. This is to minimise the risk of data loss which would occur if the exchange tried to send data down your phone line at a faster rate than it is capable of handling.
To avoid this happening, your exchange waits for three days of consistently higher connection speeds before it will increase the speed at which it passes data down your line. Also note that if your connection speed dips for any reason during the three-day period (eg. due to electrical interference or a fault), the exchange will re-start the three-day period.
For these reasons we recommend you leave your router switched on all the time, and avoid measuring your throughput speed until three days after you last switched on or re-booted your router or modem.

What to the TSF Gurus think? Should I leave it switched on all the time, or doesn’t it matter?

I should add that my ISP is TalkTalk, not BT.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

ionly turn mine off when doing a reset of the router

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding a Router onto a Router
Hi, A friend of mine asked me for some help in setting up a network for him...well, he already has an existing setup, but wants to go wireless, which sounds easy enough (I've done basic wireless networks tons of times), but it appeared to get a little more complex as I started to look into it. ...
beaches85 Networking Support 5 03-22-2009 04:43 PM
Adding a wireless router to the uplink of a wired router
I just bought a wireless router so I can use my laptop in my house anywhere. I have an existing wired router and do not want to change anything. All I want to do is add in the wireless router to the set up. Unfortunatley the instructions that came with the wireless router are for replacing my...
RemRod Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 4 11-08-2008 01:18 AM
Solved: PC cant recieve IP adress from router
Hey. Here's some info: - ABIT KN8 Ultra motherboard - GeForce 6600GT - Windows XP - I am using the onboard Ethernet card.
TommiHelm Cabling and Network Cards 9 06-07-2007 02:24 PM
Router to Router VPN
Hi everyone, Im new to the forums and this is my first post. Im getting ready to try setting up a router to router VPN and need some advice first. Currently we have one network in our main office (I'll call this Site A: which has an IP scheme of 192.168.0.x) and I am about to set up a network at...
adessmith Networking Support 6 04-23-2007 07:53 PM
If a wired router, and a wireless router are both hooked up wired, who is faster?
Hey guys, I don't know to much about routers, so I rather ask than read the manufacture's web site and not understand what I'm reading. Which set up would be better and/or faster? I wanted to get a router where I can hook up two PC's with cables/wired, and perhaps at some point set up the...
joeeye Networking Support 8 08-05-2005 05:15 PM