Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Sharing PC's internet to smart TV

This is a discussion on Sharing PC's internet to smart TV within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a PC running Windows 7, with wifi dongle. I connect to internet in this PC using my Android

Old 08-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a PC running Windows 7, with wifi dongle. I connect to internet in this PC using my Android phone as wifi hotspot (Samsung Galaxy s2). I want to share this internet from PC to my Sony KDL 40 EX 520 smart TV, may be using cross over cable. I do not have any router or wifi dongle in my TV. I am unable to do this with my limited knowledge. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

Review the guide and you should have no problems.

Wand3r3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your advice. I have tried ICS, with DHCP settings, but did not work. I do not know how to set the ip, default gateway and DNS, manually in the TV. Detailed step by step procedure will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #4

You set the TV to use dhcp.
You connect a crossover cable from your pc's ethernet card to the TV
You engage ICS which will provide a 192.168.1.137 ip for the nic in the host pc and will supply the TV with a ip in the 192.168.1.x range along with the rest of the settings it needs.

Trick here is your internet connection can not use 192.168.1.x range

Post a ipconfig /all for review so I can see what your ip setup is.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks Wand3r3r for your help. Problem solved. With your suggestions, now I am able to share internet from pc to TV without the help of router.

In the same way, in my situation, whether it is possible to share internet to wifi modem-cum-router, instead of TV, so that more devices can be connected through wifi router. Please help.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #6

You could put a switch inbetween the TV and laptop which would allow more wired devices to connect. understand the more that connect the slower the connection.