Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Share Ethernet Connection Over Wireless ????

This is a discussion on Share Ethernet Connection Over Wireless ???? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Normally it is very simple to share ethernet connection over wireless through the internet sharing option on my mac, though,

Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Idea

Normally it is very simple to share ethernet connection over wireless through the internet sharing option on my mac, though, the ethernet connection at my residence restricts internet connection only to one computer/person. When I try to share it through wireless, other laptops cant connect to it. It keeps giving an "Error" pop up on their computers. Could someone tell me how can I crack this and share my internet connection through wireless?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

Are you saying that your computer gets its internet throught you ethernet, And you have a wireless card that you want others to be able to connect to?
so friend ---> your wireless---->your ethernet -----> internet ?

IF yes, what is the exact error your friends get?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

Basically, i connect to the internet through an ethernet cable, but there is a restriction on the internet sharing, as only 1 computer can connect to the internet through that port. If i use a friends laptop and connect it to my ethernet port, it wouldn't work as it is only allowed to one laptop. So all i want to do is, share the internet connection i'm getting on my laptop with my friend just using the normal internet sharing option on a computer. It sounds very simple, and straightforward, but the conventional ways of allowing internet sharing on mac doesnt do the trick. What should i Do? And about the error, its the standard error any vista laptop gets if it cant connect to a wireless network! Thanks!!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

When you share an internet connection, All friends traffic gets routed in a way that all traffic from the shared port and your machine all appear as your machine. So if there is a limitation it won't matter because all traffic is coming from your machine---even if you are sharing it with a friend.

That being said the specifics might be important.
Your computer has 2 network interface/cards, one connects to a DSL or cable modem/router---yes/no

A standard vista error about cant connect to the wireless network. This indicates the error is on the wireless side.
0. Is your* machines wireless set to ad-hoc or infrastructure mode?
1. Can the friends machine see your wireless network as available to connect to?
2. Is the authentication mode selected WEP or WPA ?
3. Does the friend have the correct authentication password?