Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Setting up a repeater with Verizon FiOS router

This is a discussion on Setting up a repeater with Verizon FiOS router within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A friend has asked me to help set up a repeater for their house to get a better signal in

Old 01-07-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
GIGO

A friend has asked me to help set up a repeater for their house to get a better signal in locations farther from their main router that is a Verizon Actiontec M1424-WR Rev. C. I am recommending that he get an old router (Linksys wrt54GL or E2000) that I can convert into a repeater with DDWRT firmware (yes, a little fiddly but I've done this before) as a cheap solution, or with a purpose built Netgear or Linksys range extender repeater as a more $ solution.

Anyone ever set up a repeater with one of these Verizon Actiontecs? Are there any known major issues or showstoppers (beyond all the usual setup).

Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I haven't done it with the Actiontec and a repeater. I do have a setup with two access point, both are configured the same way just the channels are different. For example first AP is on channel 1 and the second AP on channel 6. But with this setup you have to run a wire to the second AP.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
GIGO

Thanks, but needs to be a wireless repeater. My old Linksys wrt54gl with DDWRT works great here for me as a repeater bridge with my main Netgear router. But not sure how compatible something like this would be with the Actiontec. I guess I'll find out when we try it.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Never used a repeater with actiontec access point but is possible no problem.

You are looking to bridge using DD-WRT rather then repeat, bridging won't boost the signal as a repeater does please understand that. If you wish to use DD-WRT then a link below:
How to Convert a Second Router into a Wireless Bridge | | Tech Support Forum
Old 01-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
GIGO

I am not a DDWRT expert but I have successfully set up a couple of repeater/bridges. Works perfect. It connects to the main router wirelessly, relays the wireless signal to farther reaches and also works like a wireless bridge by allowing wired ethernet devices to connect up and join the network. Only thing is that DDWRT repeater and repeater/bridge (at least with the older Linksys line) works only with WPA2. My friends old Actiontec only supports WEP (I know, unsatisfactory!). He may ask VZ to give him a more modern router so he can have proper security... then we will decide which way to go on a repeater.