Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Setting up a medium size college network!

This is a discussion on Setting up a medium size college network! within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I am a networking student trying to give some suggestions to the Admin about our schools network. Set up

Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I am a networking student trying to give some suggestions to the Admin about our schools network.

Set up is like this, the network is connected by an OLD congested 48 port 10 100 hub connected to 20+ classrooms (which also has a hub, wireless access point and shared printed and IP phone) with 21 computers in each classroom.

In addition there are 4 servers. The database, email, web and directory (NEW). (Directly connected to main hub)

There are also 16 teachers computers directly connected to the main hub & 4 admin computers connected to the main hub. The main hub connects to the NAT router and has a firewall.

My first suggestion was obviously to use of cat 6e & and the use of a switch. Due to the problems with the congestion and slow traffic.

What changes would make most sense, equipment, and set up. Basically i am looking at technical changes, mostly related to networking hardware in such a set up.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

" I am a networking student trying to give some suggestions to the Admin about our schools network. "

Don't you think it should be the other way around? Your network admin saying how to redesign the network?

Any idea how much it costs to rewire a campus to 6e? You would only do that if the present wiring was not cat5e.

I would suggest you diagram all of the connections as well as document the ip plan.
Then you can review the topology to see where you can improve it.

Don't assume its the 48port switch causing the congestion. There are a number of factors especially how the switches are connected that come into play for congestion.

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok here is a picture from the basic network. I also have the visio file if you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
" I am a networking student trying to give some suggestions to the Admin about our schools network. "

Don't you think it should be the other way around? Your network admin saying how to redesign the network?

Any idea how much it costs to rewire a campus to 6e? You would only do that if the present wiring was not cat5e.

I would suggest you diagram all of the connections as well as document the ip plan.

Don't assume its the 48port switch causing the congestion. There are a number of factors especially how the switches are connected that come into play for congestion.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

It has been assigned to suggest the changed by the way.

I need to suggest the physical arranging of the network that makes sense.
As well as the basic configuration and isolation ACLs or subnets.

Cisco/netgear/d-link/HP is all fine.

Quote:

Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

That topology is 10+ years out of date. Its also not very secure having a web server on the inside network. Better design is having a email front end with the web server in the dmz and then have a firewall/proxy server between the school and the dmz/internet. This allows the admin to control what sites student can get to as well as providing internal security.

First step is confirming the catagory of the cable between classrooms/backbone switch.

Fiber for firwall and nat router was a waste. Going to be awhile before you get gig internet access. Ideally you would have multimode fiber between the classrooms and backbone switch.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

Would a The Cisco Catalyst 3750-E be a good suggestion for the backbone? Teachers need direct access to the servers, would it make sense to have a switch connecting the servers with the switch and teachers computers and than connecting it to the main switch?

Quote:
That topology is 10+ years out of date. Its also not very secure having a web server on the inside network. Better design is having a email front end with the web server in the dmz and then have a firewall/proxy server between the school and the dmz/internet. This allows the admin to control what sites student can get to as well as providing internal security.

First step is confirming the catagory of the cable between classrooms/backbone switch.

Fiber for firwall and nat router was a waste. Going to be awhile before you get gig internet access. Ideally you would have multimode fiber between the classrooms and backbone switch.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

It is best that all connections come into a backbone switch that is also a layer 3 switch.
You would start with creating vlans to segment and secure traffic. Then you would subnet. I would be tempted to make each classroom its own class c subnet.

No you would not want a switch between the servers/teachers and the backbone switch. Every downsteam switch is a cut in bandwidth compared to those plugged in directly to the backbone switch.

But all this is moot if the cable connections between backbone and classrooms doesn't support gigabit.

For example I have a business campus. Each building is connected by fiber to our backbone switch. Each server has two gig nics teamed together giving 4gig pipe to each server. Backbone switch backplan support 128gig switch fabric. Switches at the remote ends are 10/100/1000 but the pcs/thin clients only support 100mb with some newer supporting gigabit.

All in all it works pretty darn well.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

If possible can you sketch what you had in mind or do a step by step for me. I kind of lost you when you talked about your set up!

Thanks

Quote:
It is best that all connections come into a backbone switch that is also a layer 3 switch.
You would start with creating vlans to segment and secure traffic. Then you would subnet. I would be tempted to make each classroom its own class c subnet.

No you would not want a switch between the servers/teachers and the backbone switch. Every downsteam switch is a cut in bandwidth compared to those plugged in directly to the backbone switch.

But all this is moot if the cable connections between backbone and classrooms doesn't support gigabit.

For example I have a business campus. Each building is connected by fiber to our backbone switch. Each server has two gig nics teamed together giving 4gig pipe to each server. Backbone switch backplan support 128gig switch fabric. Switches at the remote ends are 10/100/1000 but the pcs/thin clients only support 100mb with some newer supporting gigabit.

All in all it works pretty darn well.