Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Setting up a connection without a router

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JamesO 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm sure this may seem like a stupid question, but I am really at a loss as to how I hook up just 1 computer to the internet.

For a while now my house has had 3 computers hooked up to a router, the internet works fine, but I am having issues with a computer game right now and I wanted to see if the router was the problem.

So I attempted to connect just one computer to the internet, here is what I did:
1) Unplugged the wire running from my computer into the router
2) Unplugged the wire running from my Belkin F5D5230-4 router to the "LAN" pluggin on my "3Com HomeConnect" ADSL Modem Ethernet.
3) Took the wire running from my computer and plugged it into the pluggin that labeled "LAN" on the ADSL Modem Ethernet (the same pluggin that the router was previously plugged into).

I thought that this would be the correct way of hooking up just my computer to the internet, but that didn't work. I had a box pop up on the lower right had side of my screen saying that I was not connected to the internet. I tried opening internet explorer and going to different sites but it said that this page cannot be displayed.

I must be doing somthing wrong here but I can't figure out what, my computer seems to not recognize that it is hooked up to the ADSL Modem.

P.S. I have tried to hook up not only my computer but another one in the house, and the same thing happened so I dont think it's a problem with my computer, it must be a problem with the way I hooked it up.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok I did what you said and nothing seemed to change.

When I typed in ipconfig /release it said:
IP Adress for adapter Local Area Connection has already been released.

and when I typed in ipconfig /renew it said:
No operation can be preformed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Thanks for trying to help =)

#4 ·
2 problems here.

1. Every time you change the device connected to a DSL or Cable modem, you need to turn the modem off then back on. This releases the MAC address binding. Using the IP release and renew on a host machine will not work here.

2. Since you have DSL service, you may need a PPPoE configuration on your single computer to provide the DSL User Name and Password for the DSL connection to actually be made. Right now the router is probably handling the PPPoE connection and supplying the DSL User Name and Password.

JamesO

#6 ·
You either configure the router as PPPoE with a DSL User Name and Password, or you need some sort of "dialing" software running on a PC that has the DSL configuration. This is usually supplied by the DSL ISP.

But in any case you need to know/find out the DSL User Name and Password. Usually it is the original "default" email address that the DSL ISP provides.

JamesO

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.