Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Set WEP key for "All users"?

This is a discussion on Set WEP key for "All users"? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am setting up 60 laptops - (all Dell Latitude D520 running XP pro sp2) - that will be available

Old 08-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am setting up 60 laptops - (all Dell Latitude D520 running XP pro sp2) - that will be available for about 150 different users logging onto a Windows 2003 server via wireless access points with WEP encryption. I'm trying to find out how to configure these computers - using either the Intel PROset wireless software or XP to manage the connection - so that the WEP key is already available and configured even when a user logs on the first time.

I tried importing the HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WZCSVC/Parameters/Interfaces registry settings from a pc that already has the WEP key set, but that didn't work, and even if it did, it would require a reboot once the .reg file was imported in order for the change to take effect.

I also thought I found an option in the Intel PROset configuration that allowed for this, however I could not get it to work properly either.

Does anyone know what the best means of accomplishing this would be?

Thanks

Old 08-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

really need to know the make & model of the wireless router, is this a domain, do they have user accounts, etc? I ran into this before at work & I had to configure them all manually as they were training laptops but I think a script might work, but I'm no script writer

Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

Yeah a script sounds like your best bet, but I'm no scripter either :(. But I have to ask, why use WEP? Can you use WPA? Reason I ask is that WEP can be cracked in minutes via software readily available on by googling.