Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Router dropping connection every half hour?

This is a discussion on Router dropping connection every half hour? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had a problem earlier, but figured out the source of it. I have a Belkin wireless G router upstairs

Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

I had a problem earlier, but figured out the source of it.

I have a Belkin wireless G router upstairs that keeps cutting out every 30 minutes...On my wireless PC, laptop and xbox 360. It's not the modem, since I plugged the 360 directly into that, and never dropped.

How do I go about fixing this..are there any settings I can change so it won't keep cutting me off? thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Hi and welcome to TSF!
Have you tried changing the channel in the router? Also, download and install Xirrus Wifi Inspector to see if there are other networks in range and what they are using.

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Jason09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason09 View Post
Hi and welcome to TSF!
Have you tried changing the channel in the router? Also, download and install Xirrus Wifi Inspector to see if there are other networks in range and what they are using.
Thanks

I have changed the channel...I also updated the firmware also, since those seemed to be the obvious solutions but neither has worked.

I ran that program, and it says there are 6 networks in range.

Mine shows up as unknown (It's a Belkin G+ router)..the others are Abocom (2), and 3 Cisco-Linksys. The signal to mine is very strong too.

Is my router just bad? That's what I'm starting to think...but it's weird because it was working fine about 2 weeks ago, then this started. Like for example..I would get booted every half hour, say 4:45, then 5:15 PM. I would go upstairs and unplug the router around 5:30, then I would get kicked off like right at 6:00PM. It's weird...I'm thinking there is either some setting for it that's doing this, or it just needs to be replaced? thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

When you changed the channel, did you set it to one that was not being used by another network in range? This problem could be wireless interference. Also, make sure there aren't any wireless devices using a 2.4GHZ frequency near the router.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

The only thing close to it is a phone, but I turned that off and the problem persists. Every half hour...I tried all 12 channels, same thing. It actually stayed connected for about an hour on channel 8, but with like a lag spike every 2 minutes...then the next day, it disconnected every half hour at the same time as the other channels did.

I'm thinking the router is just junk...what a surprise..
Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Try a factory default reset.

Note: This will reset everything you have set in the router, including network keys (WEP, WPA etc.), time, filters etc, and restore the router completely to default settings. Take a paper clip, and push it in the reset button for 10-15 seconds. Then restart the computer and configure network settings in the router.