Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

RESOLVED No Connection Detected

This is a discussion on RESOLVED No Connection Detected within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i just reformatted a laptop i have with an older windows xp version. its XP home edition 5.1, build 2600.

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

i just reformatted a laptop i have with an older windows xp version. its XP home edition 5.1, build 2600. i have the ethernet cable plugged into the back, and a wireless internet card but the computer isnt detecting a broadband connection. any idea what may be wrong?

thanks
dan

Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Registered Member

Mind if I throw a question in there as well... I don't want to start a new thread when our problems are nearly the same. Anyway, I completely wiped everything off my hard drive, all that is on it now is the basic windows xp stuff. I tried to set up a connection with the ethernet cord in, but nothing seemed to work. There is nothing in my network connections to even work with.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

Since you both just reformatted, I presume you performed a clean install (meaning you booted from the CD, went through the prompts, and finally come to the graphical interface). Have you installed all the drivers? Check Device Manager (right-click on My Computer, click on the Hardware tab, then click on the Device Manager button). It should give you a list of what it thinks is installed on your computer. If you see question marks or explanation points, all the drivers are not installed, or the devices are having a problem.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Hi,

Mike has probably got it. When you reformat a laptop, you should use the laptop's recovery partition so you don't have to manually reinstall all the drivers.

If you post the model of each laptop, then we can find drivers for you.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

i dont know how to use the recovery partition
the model is a Dell Lattitude D600
Old 03-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

You normally either hit a key during the POST to enter the recovery manager on most machines with a recovery partition. You can use your service tag number from the machine and access the Dell website for exact info.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 03-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

I am in device manager right now, everything is working properly except -

PCI Simple Communications Controller
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Input Device

Device status says - The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
To Reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

I am having trouble installing the drivers. I don't know if I need some CD or Floppy Disc, or if the software needed is already there I just don't know how to find it. I am on a desktop by the way.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Registered Member

in my device manager the list of devices are all good except for:
Ethernet Controller
Network Controller
O2Micro SmartCardBus_Reader
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

those are all the ones with question marks next to them
Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

You both have the same problem, the drivers are not installed for your network cards- this is why you don't see them in the connections, and the reason you can't connect. With the computer you used to post this, go to your manufactures Website, do a model search, and download the drivers for your network card- it'll probably be in zip format. The next thing is to get them to the computers in question- I assume you don't have a usb thumb-drive, but hopefully you have a cd burner. Unzip the files, by right-clicking, and extract to, and point it to a destination. Then use the cd burner to burn the folder onto a disc, place it in the computer in question, go back to device manager, and the same place you seen where the drivers are not installed, click install driver, specific location, and point it to the cd. The drivers for your network card should install, and you should be able to get online, allowing you to download all the other drivers necessary. If you don't have a cd burner, or a thumb-drive, I'm not sure how you're going to get the required files to the computers in question. You can pick up a 1GB thumb-driver in most places for around $20-$30 bucks, and trust me, it' worth it! Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If you want to reinstall Windows using the recovery partition, here are instructions for some manufacturers of laptops.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/

If you have a gateway laptop, you can use this:
http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWAR...XPMC0su8.shtml
Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
Registered Member

mike i went to the dell site and looked for the drivers needed, but when i got there i found a number of different wireless card drivers and network drivers. I'm not sure which ones to use, is there any way to check which ones i should be downloading?

thanks
dan
Old 03-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSouth View Post
I am in device manager right now, everything is working properly except -

PCI Simple Communications Controller
Ethernet Controller
PCI Input Device

Device status says - The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
To Reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

I am having trouble installing the drivers. I don't know if I need some CD or Floppy Disc, or if the software needed is already there I just don't know how to find it. I am on a desktop by the way.
Please post the make and model of the laptop. I can find the drivers for you if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
mike i went to the dell site and looked for the drivers needed, but when i got there i found a number of different wireless card drivers and network drivers. I'm not sure which ones to use, is there any way to check which ones i should be downloading?

thanks
dan
Dan, try this driver.
http://support.dell.com/support/down...id=-1&impid=-1

It is the chipset driver, and might get your ethernet back. It should also fix some other driver issues. If that doesn't get your ethernet driver back, then try this driver:
http://support.dell.com/support/down...tid=5&impid=-1

If you need the wireless driver, download PC Wizard from my sig and post what it says in the System Summary (take a screenshot if it is easier). Click on the My Computer icon in the Hardware section.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Registered Member

thats the screenshot for the program. the drivers you told me to download installed fine but the same ones still showed up as uninstalled.

dan
Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
Registered Member

Update:

i used the program that u said , the pc wizard, and used it to get the broadband working. now for the wireless card, what do i have to do?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
Registered Member

sorry to keep reposting on myself but im having a really hard time finding the driver for my wireless card, the scrnshot from the pc wizard is a few posts up
thanks
dan
Old 03-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Try this driver:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...ition&lang=eng
Be sure to install it in safe mode.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

i tried the download and installed it in safe mode and still no wireless connection, but in the network connections tab there is a new one its under 'Internet Gateway' and all it says is Internet Connection - Connected. In the Device Manager ive narrowed down the devices without drivers, to only two. The two that are left are "Network Controller" and "O2Micro SmartCardBus_Reader" what i get is if the internet is working why would the network controller say it doesnt have a driver? In the PC Wizard it still shows that there is "No Information Available for this Item" under the drivers tab for the network card, but it still works. I have tried numerous times to install the driver from the dell website and it seems to install every time but nothing changes.

thanks for the time and patience with helpin me =)
dan
Old 03-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Do you still see the Ethernet Controller in device manager?

If so, then right click and select properties. Then click Install to install the driver. Go through the add new hardware wizard, and choose to install the driver from a specific location. Then, include the folder C:\WINDOWS\inf in the search (make sure hidden folders are un-hidden).

Hopefully it will find a driver.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #19
Registered Member

did everything u said and sill nothing
Old 04-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

What model laptop do you have?