Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Repairing:Cannot Disabling wireless Network Router

This is a discussion on Repairing:Cannot Disabling wireless Network Router within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I'm having this problem that is really annoying. Let me start off by saying I have a DESKTOP computer.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I'm having this problem that is really annoying. Let me start off by saying I have a DESKTOP computer. Every help site I went on had solutions for laptops. I'm running windows XP sp2. So one day I lost connection to my internet. I have a D-Link wireless network adapter. So whenever I lost connection before, I would go down to my taskbar, right click where it says limited or no connectivity or had a red X going through it, and clicked Repair. Usually it either fixes it or I know why it can't, and fix it on my own. But now, whenever I click repair, weather I have connection or not, it goes "Windows cannot finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Disabling the wireless network adapter Make sure the network adapter is properly installed." And it is properly installed. It's updated and working. I'm connected now, that's how I'm on this site, but I still get the message when I click repair. Anyway, under device Manager, I can disable D-Link myself and enable it again. But that didn't help because I still get the message when I try to repair. And also, under device manager I clicked "Uninstall" and uninstalled D-Link and reinstalled it, tried clicking repair again and still got the messege. I tried doing it again and this time restarted my computer, but still got the message. I even tried switching it to a different USB port and needless to say, that didn't help either. I tried Error Fix, Ccleaner, AVG, and MalwareBytes but none of those things got rid of the problem. I can still view available wireless networks, go to Status, change the firewall settings and pretty much anything but Repair. Remember this is a desktop computer and it doesn't have a switch to turn wireless on or off. This is D-Link wireless adapter model No.WUA-1330 I'm trying to give all the information I can so here's what I get when I hover my mouse over the little computer icon on my taskbar

Wireless Network connection 8 (*Name of my network*)
Speed:11.0mbps
Signal Strength:Low

Note:the signal strength is always either low or very low. It's always been that way. It's not a problem to me.

In Network connection everything is the way it always has been, so I don't think there's a problem there.

This is very, very annoying. I really need help and I don't want to have take it to get repaired. I'm really stumped here, Don't have a clue what I did to get it messeed up. You will have my everlasting gratitude if you help me out.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Did you try a wired connection to see if this is just a wireless issue?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote