Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Remote Desktop not working

This is a discussion on Remote Desktop not working within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When searching for my issue, I came across this thread . The OP's problem initially sounded a lot like mine,

Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

When searching for my issue, I came across this thread. The OP's problem initially sounded a lot like mine, but ended up being different enough that I still need help.

I'm using Computer A to remote desktop to Computer B. This has worked fine for a few years now, up until the other night. Suddenly remote desktop connection no longer works. I don't know what I downloaded, updated, or whatever in the last few days that changed anything. I will say that ever since I've had Computer A (2+ years), I've left the firewall off. Suddenly, tonight I found it was on, though once I discovered that I immediately turned it off. All the testing below was done with the firewall turned off (I'm also assuming that the fact that safe mode didn't help removes the chance that it could be a firewall).

I tried remote desktop connection from Computer C to Computer B and Computer D, which worked fine. Thus, the issue seems to be with Computer A (remote desktop from A to D also doesn't work). A to B is the main problem I'm trying to fix.

Things I've checked:
-- Both A and B allow remote desktop connections
-- Both A and B have network connections
-- pinging B from A does not work.
-- A does not have a firewall up and running
-- I checked netstat -a (or -an, -aon, -ano, etc.) on Computer A, did not see any hint of 3389 at all
-- Tried running Computer A in safe mode with networking, still nothing (no ping, no netstat connection, etc.)
-- Terminal Services in Computer A seems to be working fine, according to services.msc
-- Checked Event Viewer for anything related to remote desktop. I didn't see anything, but it is possible I missed something (it's late, didn't check thoroughly).

I would appreciate any and all help! I'll have access to Computer B during the day, and Computer A during the evenings (starting ~6 p.m. EST). Will try to answer any questions. Thank you in advance!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

on computer A go to a restore point before this problem occured.
have you confirmed A is not infected?
running without a firewall would certainly lead to infection

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
I've recently run AVG (found nothing) and downloaded Malwarebytes (I think that's what it's called...I got it from the link in my OP). Can run that tonight.

Unfortunately, I don't tend to set restore points, though apparently I should.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ugh, was hoping I could edit the post above. Sometimes my comments on computers are just foolish.

I didn't realize Vista automatically set restore points, thought I had to set them specifically. I performed system restore to 10 days ago, which is well before the problem started. That did not help.

Just ran both AVG and Malwarebytes, neither found anything.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

I will add something that a poster from another board mentioned. Computer C is on my work's network, so it could be an issue with the work network that's cropped up recently.

More fuel to that fire is that I asked a friend to connect to Computer B from her home, and she was not able to do so. I'll contact my work admins and see if anything has changed.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
Thanks for the help, Wand3r3r. Turns out my work's network was the problem - they changed things and deemed it unnecessary to tell people until today.