Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redoing my entire network?

758 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MitchConner 
#1 ·
I have a few buildings that are within 200ft of each other. I need some expertise in choosing the correct products and setting up this network so that its fast! I took networking engineering in school back in 2005 and cant remember what exactly I need to do. I posted an image of my layout.

I need to achieve the following

- Wireless Access at each building and setup so I can walk from building to building and not drop connection.

- 1gbps connections to each building.

- I currently have CAT6 ran to each building

- Each building will need to be on the same network as we all share files.

any other question or anything that I left our please comment.

Thanks!

https://gyazo.com/0fe2fbc5147828c3246d9bb6aa109c2b

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the link but I'm Sorry If I confused you on the post there. I need a hardwired wired network with access points. The site you posted deals with just wireless only. I need advise on what should I put at each location as in routers, switches, etc. Some help on brands and models would be nice. A friend recommended ubnt networks but they don't have a support number so I will not buy from them.

Thanks

#4 ·
it all depends on budget and space requirements - for instance does each building have a network rack, do you want a switch in each building (allows for future expansion in each building).

I have used these:
http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/networking-switches/product-detail.html?oid=6783496#!tab=specs

One in each building main 2 and 4 should suffice your needs, in an ideal world it would be one in each building.

are all of these buildings on the same site? if so then you will need to look at the cable runs, do you want to run fibre between each building? or just copper?

You may need to run fibre from Main Building to building 4 due to the distance.

if the buildings are not on one site then you may need to look at leased lines, something like a virginmedia connection here in the uk and setup a vpn between each building and the main building. - i assume the server(s) are in the main building.

You could also look at building a backup server in building 6 (furthest away from the main building) and setup a schedule task each night to back up any date on the server in Main building to Building 6.

#6 ·
By the way I am in the US. I have currently CAT6 ran to all buildings and I have them set up with random linksys / netgear switches and routers to accommodate us for the mean time. The issue getting is slow file transfers and slow speeds. The internet seems to be fast on the download but is horrible on the upload. I don't want to run fiber cable as we have already burred the lines to each building at the beginning of the year.

The internet coming in the building is fast on all computers, but the upload sucks! We have 80Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload. The upload gets about 150-275KB/s speed through the router. When we plug a computer in the cable modem directly, the upload is almost 1MB/s. So I just think I am not using the right equipment and I do not have it properly configured. I would like to keep my budget under $2000 if possible but I don't mind spending more to have a nice network!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.